3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

RAM - Alternatives

My PC is a humble eMachines 466is that can take up to 256MB of RAM. It came with 32MB SyncDRAM and I added a 128MB stick. Kingston is offering a 256MB 333MHz DDR PC2700 DIMM CL2.5 stick for $24.99. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me if that type of memory is compatible with my 466is. Thanks in advance for any help!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: RAM - Alternatives

Roberto

If I were to tell you, I wouldn't believe me!

Ask the experts who make and sell the memory - Crucial has a particularly good reputation. They are the people who get customer complaints if they get it wrong, and they now make a good job of getting it right!

I'd have a look at the Crucial and Kingston websites! Good luck!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Hi Roberto,

I really don't think that your machine is capable of using that type of RAM. DDR RAM is fairly new and your motherboard HAS to be able to access that type of memory.

Take John's advice and check out the Crucial site to make sure, but I wouldn't hold out any hopes for a positive answer.
    Go to CRUCIAL

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Definitely not. Your machine uses 168 pin SDRAM, while what you are looking to buy is 184 pin DDR RAM. Not only won't it work, it won't fit. Since you have two sticks of ram, I'm making an educated guess that your system is only capable of using 128mb sticks (2 x 128 = 256 max). However, the good news is that you should be able to pick up a 128mb sdram stick for far less than $24.99, if you look around. Pick up one on eBay for $10 or less.

kip

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Roberto,

You may also find that your machine supports more than 256MB RAM - but 256MB RAM was stated in the manual because larger memory modules weren't available back then. I'm not aware of any Pentium II/III chipsets that had such a limitation, though anything more isn't likely to make much difference unless you're editing huge graphics files etc.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Not to mention that DDR slots are different than the older SDRAM slots, so the DDR memory would not fit into the board at all.
    -Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Keep in mind that if you are using Windows 98, anything more than 512MB installed RAM will actually hurt performance. Windows NT, 2000 and XP are not affected by this problem.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your assistance. I might end up doing nothing. Crucial wants $60 for a 128MB stick I could use and that's a no no. Will explore eBay. Take care and thanks again!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you're nervous about eBay, Office Max has an ad today for 128mb ram for $19 after rebate ($39 to start). Why I like eBay is there's lots of people (like you and me) who upgrade their ram, and what to do with the perfectly good old ram? EBay of course! Now Crucial is the best you can get, but do you really need it for that system? If it was me, I'd slap some cheap ram in there and enjoy it. One other thing, max ram is controlled not only by the processor, but by the motherboard's BIOS. It may be possible to use more than 2 x 128, but it will probably require a BIOS upgrade, if one is available.

kip