5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Control Panel probs

I cannot open any of the apps in my Control Panel as I receive the message that Access to the Device, File, etc is denied. I get the same message when I attempt to Add my printer. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Control Panel probs

Is this a recent phenomenon?
    Have you installed any software, hardware or security updates recently?
    Can you access your CP OK in Safe Mode?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes it's a recent problem. I've been tinkering with my computer. I installed an evaluation copy of Project 2000 which came up with a load of error messages.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Take a look at this from Kelly's 98 Site:

Control Panel Does Not Open

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure that this describes my problem. I CAN open the Control Panel and see all the icons, but if I try to open any of them it's then that I'm told access is denied. I located the .cpl files (as mentioned in the article) but I could not run them by double-clicking as it says that these are not valid Win 32 applications?! I have disks for my system, but these are a Restore option, rather than just the Windows 98 installation disks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

This helps Andrew. I'd go in this order. There are a number of threads on this if you search google.

1) One thing that has worked that I should never forget to mention is to run SFC--185836: Description of the System File Checker Tool (Sfc.exe) SFC might fix this if it replaces a corrupt .dll and you may have to supply the 09 CD-Rom for it to pull from--it gets intact files from the System32Dllcache folder. Often it's damage to RUNDLL32.EXE .

2) Make sure to run a viral scan and AdAware and Spybot S&D because viruses and malware are well known to restrict access to CP icons with this error.

3) Take a look at this thread

4) This isn't your error to be sure, but searching for the .cpl file and correcting as described might help:

171753: Invalid Page Fault Opening Control Panel

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Great. sfc resolved the problems. It suggested that file user.exe is damaged and should be restored, but this is not on my CD. Do you know what this file does? Presumably it just keeps a profile of the user?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If you look at the first link, file user.exe is associated with video problems most of the time when there are errors, and it's been around since at least Windows 3.1.

I spent a good while searching file data bases for file user.exe--I might have missed because I ran the words together on some. I have found some of this-- One is ominous and says windows may not start after replacement, but that didn't happen to you--and I have to tell you I've heard reports or rare problems from runnning SFC, and sometimes it's not the fix answer, but it's a very safe thing to do and always worth trying. It doesn't always find every file and there are KBs and articles on that but it's misses are rare considering the huge number of files--I found it and posted somewhere on the lounge-- that it has to scan and potentially fix.

84148: USER.EXE in System Directory Has Date of Installation (I've always wanted to put up an MSKB from Windows 3.1 in one of these threads).

User.exe in Windows98

Subject:System File Checker replaced the file USER.EXE and now Windows will not boot

192832: System File Checker Tool Extracts Incorrect File Versions

SMBP