New Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple Versions of COMCTL32.DLL? (XP Home SP-1)

New computer, new O/S (XP). Loaded some applications I've been using in Win2K. Now one keeps crashing with the alert that the problem is in COMCTL32.DLL. I know this is the commom controls dll. I did a search and found two versions of the dll.

C:Windowssystem32 ===>Version 5.82.2800.1106 544KB

C:WindowsWinSxSx86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.0.0_x-ww_1382d70a==>
    Version 6.0.2600.0 900KB

If I run "System Information" and look in "Software Enviroment/Loaded Modules", both versions appear. Is this normal? How do two versions of the same dll get loaded? Could this be the cause of the application crash? I assume the latest version is the correct one, but then I'm not really sure.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple Versions of COMCTL32.DLL? (XP Home SP-1)

I have, it would seem, about 12 different versions of COMCTL32.DLL on my XP Pro box, each usually in two or three instances, varying in size from 439 KB to 900 KB, and in date from 12/06/1998 to 29/08/2002.

So I would reckon that the "Common Controls" aren't as common (or generalised) as you might think, and that each package (e.g. Front Page 2000 SR1, Sage Instant Accounts v10, WinSxS) seems to come with its own version.

Do you know what version of COMCTL32.DLL the "failing application" runs when it works successfully in Windows 2000? Is it in the "package directory"? Does the same apply when it runs in Windows XP? Is there an updated version of the application specifically for Windows XP, do you know?
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

<<Do you know what version of COMCTL32.DLL the "failing application" runs when it works successfully in Windows 2000? >>
    It is not either version that is in XP. I tried swapping the versions but XP is too smart for me. While I could rename the file, XP would somehow create another with the original name.

<<Is it in the "package directory"?>>
    The application does not load or have its own copy of comctl32.

<<Is there an updated version of the application specifically for Windows XP, do you know? >>
    There is a new version, but it is not XP specific. I might upgrade to that anyway but hope I would not end with the same problem. The application is CAMEDIA Master 2.0 which is software that came with my Olympus digital camera.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Did you install your applications from Installation Mode? (Start | Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs | Add New Program | CD or Floppy)

If not, try to uninstall your program(s) and install it from Control Panel. Sometimes the result is fascinating.
    But, if your programs were originally created to run under Windows 95/98 or DOS, try to install them with Program Compatibility Wizard (Start | All Programs | Accessories | Program Compatibility Wizard)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks all for the help. I did go to the compatibility wizard and told it to run under Win2K. What do you know? It now works fine.