3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AutoCorrect Getting Confused (Word 2000)

I usually store my AutoCorrect entries as plain text, but every so often I store one as formatted text when I need to preserve the formatting.

Today, I had stored two entries as formatted, and they began appearing in place of some of my other plain text entries. For example, I stored a formatted entry as "..m". It worked fine when I typed "..m". So far, so good. Then I typed "..g" to recall the entry I had stored under that shorthand, and the "..m" entry appeared instead of the "..g" entry. I double-checked to be sure the "..g" entry was still correct on the AutoCorrect list, and it was. But every time I typed "..g" I got the "..m" formatted entry. Once I deleted the "..m" entry, the "..g" entry showed up as it was supposed to.

I had the same experience with another formatted entry I stored today. I exited Word and came back in to see if that corrected the problem, but it didn't. The only way to fix it was to delete the formatted entry.

I haven't used formatted entries enough to know if this is a regular problem. Anyone else know about this?

Thanks

Re: AutoCorrect Getting Confused (Word 2000)

I wonder if Word has a problem with two periods beginning an AutoCorrect entry name? Does it only happen with that kind of entry?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, Jefferson, it doesn't seem to. I just tried saving a couple of formatted AutoCorrect entries using "/j" and "/m" as shorthand. The /j works fine, but when I type /m, it gives me the /j string.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Russ:
    I can't duplicate the problem. However, I wonder if it has to do specifically with using a period in the autocorrect entry. Since punctuation, as well as a space or <enter>, activates autocorrect, it may be affecting it. Still, your periods come don't come at the end of the autocorrect entry.

Formatted autocorrect entries are stored in normal.dot You might make a backup of your current normal.dot & then rename it to normal.old. Start Word & disable all the add-ins under Tools/Templates & add-ins... . Then try to create some new autocorrect entries & see if they stick. When you're done, you'll have to close Word & rename normal.old to normal.dot to recover all your customizations. If this worked, then you might try being more systematic by going through the steps in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>.
    Hope this helps,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Phil. My shift is ending here at the office, so I'll check into this after the long weekend. Have a good holiday weekend.

Russ