3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PC reboots while burning DVDs

I am uncertain whether I have a hardware or software problem.
    New PC, Dell 4600, 512 Kb RAM, Pentium 4 processor (3GHz). Using a new ATAPI MSI DVD-CD burner in an external enclosure (am using a USB2 connection).
    While burning DVD+R and DVD+RW, using Nero v6.0, the PC reboots when the burn is about 30% complete, and I have not managed to complete a burn.
    No problems burning CDs. I also have an internal CD-RW/DVD read drive, which is working correctly.
    Another point- how do I check in device manager whether DMA is enabled for the "external" drive?
    Any advice would be very much appreciated!
    Dianne

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PC reboots while burning DVDs

Have you checked the Event Viewer for any leads on what might be causing the problem?

Windows 2000 and XP will reboot automatically upon a blue screen by default. I personally hate this behaviour because it hides the blue screen and you may not be aware that there is an error occurring that needs some attention. You can change this behaviour in the System Properties applet, via control panel or right-clicking My Computer. Under Advanced - Startup and Recovery options, you need to clear the Automatically reboot checkbox as shown in the attached graphic.

If your external drive is connected via USB, DMA settings are not accessible. This property is only applicable to devices attached directly to the IDE bus in a PC. That said, you may want to check for updated USB 2.0 drivers for your system's chipset. For AMD systems, this is almost always VIA technologies. Via's USB 2.0 drivers are not separately available from their website because of a licensing agreement, they ship with the motherboard on a CD. I do not know if this limitation also applies to Intel chipsets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...MSI DVD-CD burner in an external enclosure...using a USB2 connection... <hr>
    How about power? I have no experience with external DRIVES but is yours connected to external power? I don't know if power over-draw from the USB ports would cause a reboot.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks WyllyWylly- excellent advice.
    The event viewer errors suggest a cable problem- probably confirmed by the fact that on a couple of occasions I had to remove the USB connection to allow a reboot when the computer froze during a burn. All USB ports caused the same problem.
    I will try the alternative firewire connection, and if that fails, install the drive internally to check whether the enclosure itself is faulty.
    If nothing else, I am learning patience and persistence!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. The enclosure has its own independent power supply, but I will get that checked if all else fails. I have my doubts about the enclosure - and suspect it may be faulty in some way.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I would second that notion, and test the drive internally first before you go much further. As with all troubleshooting, remove as many variables as possible from the equation. If you confirm the drive works, then you know it's the enclosure.
    -Mark