3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can you redefine Numbered levels partway thru doc? (Word 2000)

I have a feeling the answer is no, but can you redefine your Outline Numbered levels part-way through a document?

The law firm where I work will often do a large agreement with heavy exhibits at the end. We might have 7 or 8 levels of numbering in the main body of the document, and then a large exhibit might have another 7 or 8 levels, but formatted differently. It would be nice to be able to redefine the Outline Numbered levels for this exhibit, but as far as I know, Word only has one set of Outline Numbered levels per document.

It would be nice to have the ability to use several sets, with different styles for each set. One set could be called Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. and another might be called Level 1, Level 2, etc. But we can't do that, can we?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can you redefine Numbered levels partway thru doc? (Word 2000)

Hi Russ:
    Yes, you can. You first define your styles (e.g. Heading 1-5, Outline 1-5, Heads 1-5. or whatever you want to name them). Then you open place the cursor in a level 1 style, right click, choose Bullets & Numbering..., & link each style to numbering without closing the dialog box.

Then repeat the above steps for your second sets of styles, etc. See Gary Frieder's <post#=76976>post 76976</post#>.
    Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil, I just had a chance to check Gary's post you recommended. Very interesting.

A few years ago I learned the hard way about the importance of having the insertion point in a Level 1 paragraph when making changes to any level of that numbering scheme. In fact, I was even told that it was best to be in the first occurrence of Level 1.

When I get a chance, I'll try setting up several style groups (e.g., Heading 1-5, Level 1-5, etc.) and assign different numbering schemes to each group. This should be a big help. Thanks.

Russ

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil, I finally had some time to set up a test document using several sets of auto numbering. Wow, it works great. That's a big help to us here at my firm. Thanks again for the help.

Russ