3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Templates v. Forms? (Outlook 2000 SP3)

I have a standard email that I send out a lot and all that changes is a person's name, etc. In order to avoid retyping this again and again, I thought I would make a template, but I wanted to include a "field" to type information that changes from email to email. I'm not sure if a form would be better for this. Any suggestions. Also, I'm a newbie to forms, so my next question would be HOW to put a "fill in field" in an Outlook template/form. I am thinking in Word mode obviously, with the fill-in fields, etc. Thanks - Sat.

Thanks

Re: Templates v. Forms? (Outlook 2000 SP3)

Fields are most useful when they speed up your work. For example, if you always had the same three choices (e.g., morning, afternoon, evening), a drop-down box could be convenient. On the other hand, if the information is highly variable, just a long underline could be a sufficient reminder that you need to customize the message.

My general comments on forms vs. templates can be found in <post#=166074>post 166074</post#> and <post#=298240>post 298240</post#>. When I got Office XP, I stopped using my old forms (which simply were large blocks of text) and created templates instead. Then I built a toolbar that lets me quickly generate new messages from those templates.

Hope this helps, at least a little bit.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey - I read both posts. Thank you - very insightful. I was able to save my "form" (really just a text template) to my Inbox and yes, it does show up on my Actions menu. However, when a coworker tried the same thing in Outlook XP, it does not show on his Actions menu. Any idea how to get it there in XP? Obviously he can open it from Tools | Forms | Choose Form, then browse to Inbox and open....but it would be far fewer clicks if he just went to Actions | <Form Name>.

So, I gather from your response that you do not know of a way to insert some sort of fill in field? Basically, we send out a notification with each New User that is created in our system. Obviously, the user name and user ID will change, and that is the only information that we need to type. The rest of the text can remain the same.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks

Your co-worker might have saved the form to his Personal Forms Library rather than to the Inbox.

I think you will need comments of more heavy-duty forms users to see if they can come up with a better solution.