Lounger
    Thanks

Create a Summary Sheet (2000)

I am trying to create a datasheet which summarizes only specific columns in fields from other sheets within 1 excel file. I've attached the spreadsheet that I am working on. Here's what I want to do: on the "View All" sheet, I only want to view specific columns from the other worksheets included (i.e., Clinical Operations, Drug Metabolism, etc.). In other words, the other sheets will all have different columns of information that they are tracking, but in the "View All" sheet, I only want to show specific columns that will be common to all worksheets. Additionally, I want to somehow group each section by their specific category (like, I want to see only the specified columns for Clinical Operations, then, I want to see the same thing for Drug Metabolism, etc.). How do I do this? (Thanks in advance for your help!) - Dory

Thanks

Re: Create a Summary Sheet (2000)

I am not a proponent of having essentially "duplicate formatted" sheets in a workbook.

To me, it would make more sense to combine all the sheets into 1 and add (perhaps) a new column for the "type" (whatever the sheet differentiation currently is).

Having one sheet allows you to use the database features of excel: Autofilter with subtotals, adv filtering, D-Functions, pivot table reports, etc. Having the 1 table with an autofilter, will allow you to create (on the fly) any one of the sheets as a view just by filtering. Management of the data is much easier and most of this summarizing, etc can be done without any coding.

Steve

Thanks

dory,

There are a lot of built in features in Excel that allow custom displays of data.
    Steve has pointed out that pivot tables and autofiltering, etc from a common database is the way to take advantage of these features.
    For what its worth, take a look at your slightly modified workbook that I've attached.

I have added a table of contents with hyperlinked sheet names.
    The Clinical Operations sheet has a button on it that hides and shows 5 columns.
    Just an idea for whatever use you want to make.

Regards,
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, CA

Lounger
    Thanks

Jim/Steve,

Sorry - I haven't had a chance to get back to this until now. Thanks so much for your help!!!