New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost certain right-click functionality (Outlook 2003)

Lost ability to get context sensitive drop-down menu when right clicking on the one-line email headers for any messages in any box in any personal folder. Other right-click context senstive menus function normally both within Outlook and outside of Outlook. Have run Help/Detect and Repair and have also run Inbox repair tool on pst file. Any other suggests to repair or clues as to what might have happened? Close/reboot repeatedly fails as well. Version 11.5608.5703.

Thanks

Re: Lost certain right-click functionality (Outlook 2003)

If you mean a message listed in the Inbox, for example, I wonder whether you might have an add-in that's interfering with Outlook's normal behavior? I can't imagine that Microsoft has removed the context menu in Outlook 2003. (If this has something to do with the header of the Preview Pane, that's beyond my knowledge completely.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, in a message in the inbox or outbox or any box in the personal folders. But NOT the right-click functionality in any other portion of the program, ONLY the items WITHIN the folder. No add-ins installed, except for Outlook's own (2002) backup add in. Since my original post I have opened the same pst file on another PC with Outlook 2003 and it functions properly. I have also used the repair/reinstall found in Control Panel/Software/Change and applied it with no result. At this point, unless someone else posts something, it looks as if I need to uninstall Outlook entirely, and reinstall.

Thanks

Menu and toolbar customizations are stored in a file named outcmd.dat which often becomes corrupted. Rather than reinstall, try to find and rename this file. When Outlook is opened again, it will recreate it using its default settings. (You might need to unload and reload the Backup add-in after this to get File>Backup back again.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

I deleted the outcmd file as suggested and it did not resolve the problem. I then went to Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs and I totally deleted Outlook, and then reinstalled it. The problem persists. I suspect that there must be a curruption in something in Office rather than just Outlook that is causing this behavior (i.e. lack of certain right-click functionality), even though it is unique to Outlook and is not a problem in Word or Excel. I am loathe to totally delete Office and reinstall because of the MS "activation" process. If I delete all of Office, do I have to call MS to reactivate or how does that work? Thank you in advance.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost certain right-click functionality (Outloo

Are you running any kind of Add-In or spam filter or other utility in connection with Outlook?

The Product Activation details are held in a file called opa11.dat in a hidden folder named something like Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftOfficeData. As long as you're reinstalling the same configuration of Office on the same computer, you should be able to substitute a backed up version of the current one for the "new" one that is generated by a reinstall. Make sure that you back the "new" one as well, just in case you substitute at the wrong moment.

HTH
    Gre