5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Numeric to Alpha (A2K)

Seemingly simple as usual. Want to create an Alphanumeric field from an Autonumber field. I tried NewAlphaField: str([AutoFieldName]). If the AutoFieldName was a numeric 4, I get back an alphanumeric field with a 4 OK, but an embedded space in front of the 4. From whence came it? Appreciate any suggestions. Need to use this field for comparison to another alphanumeric field, but can't do it because of the embedded space.
    Cheers,
    Andy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Numeric to Alpha (A2K)

The space prefix is a "feature" of the Str function - for positive numbers and zero, a space is prefixed, for negative numbers a minus sign. In the olden days of fixed-width fonts, this would ensure that for example 37 and -37 lined up.
    If you already have a text field, you can update it simply to [AutoFieldName]. Access will take care of the conversion from long integer to string, without prefixing a space...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Numeric to Alpha (A2K)

Hans,
    Thanks as always for your quick and accurate reply. What I've done is probably not considered cricket, but in the Before Update event on my form I put in:
    [NewAlphaField]=[AutoNumberField] which writes back into the table the alphanumeric version of the autonumber without a leading space. Not neat, but it works. Thanks again,
    Andy
    Cheers,
    Andy