New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't print 2nd page. (WinXP Pro)

Hi.

I need help with an HP PSC 1350 (multifunction printer/scanner/card reader) printing problem. I'm trying to print a 2 page newsletter using Broderbund's "PrintShop Brochures, Newsletters & More" program. When I boot up the computer and print the first page (with print spooling ON), everything seems okay. But, when I go to print the second page, the system gets stuck...it looks like the page is going into the print queue, but it never comes out. If I try to cancel the print document/job from the "Printer's Window", it says, "Printing-Deleting" continually, but it never deletes the job.

The only way to clear the print queue that I've found is to Shut Down my computer, cross my fingers, boot up the computer again, and hope that the "cancel" that I attempted takes. Usually, the page will print immediately after the PC has booted to the desktop.

It makes no difference if I try to print the second page first or the first page second. This ALWAYS gets stuck when I try to print the "second" page.

I've spent many hours trying to get this to work, including 3 phone calls to HP. In two of those phone calls, I spent an hour trying to resolve this. (The folks at HP were all great...they were very patient and really tried to help.) I got this unit on a good deal and I'd like to try to make it work if I can.

I've tried printing from other applications and everything else seems to work fine. Also, I've tried pressing the "Copy" button on the unit while the "Printing-Deleting" message shows up in the Printer's window. The copier function seems to work--it kicks out a copy of whatever is placed on the scanner.

If I "Print directly to the Printer," it doesn't appear that I have problems. The downside to that workaround is that I am very likely to run into situations where I won't be able to multitask as I need to. (Besides, I SHOULD be able to use the spooler.)

HP said that they've heard of this problem happening with WinXP (only) a few times. One of the tech's I spoke with said that Microsoft and HP are working on the problem.

When I do attempt to print this document, I have no other applications open.

My PC is a P4/2.4GHz/512 MB system running WinXP Pro. The USB cable connecting the PC to the printer is 6feet long.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Printer and/or mulifunction-printer recommendations? And, HOW can I clear the print queue without having to POWER-DOWN my system?!? (Yes, I've tried CTRL-ALT-DEL. Nothing--no, I mean really, NOTHING--shows up in the task list.)

Thanks very much in advance!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't print 2nd page. (WinXP Pro)

<hr>...I've tried printing from other applications and everything else seems to work fine... <hr>
    This looks like a key sentence in your post! Seems to me then you ought to be trying to contact Broderbund as it looks like something in THEIR software that your printer or the OS doesn't like. Have you tried them?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Concurrent with posting this message, I tried contacting Broderbund; they didn't answer the phone when I tried before. I plan on trying again. I posted this here because a few other WinXP users that I've spoken with have had this same problem. (Thanks for the suggestion, though!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds like a printer software incompatibility bug. I suggest going to:

http://support.broderbund.com Enter your software title or technical note number in the field and click Go. There is also a (dis) satisfaction survey to render your opinion.

The Tech Support folks are probably not as smart as at Woody's Lounge, but give it a try. Let us know.