New Lounger
    Thanks

XP explorer faulting (XP Home)

I have a real puzzler that is driving me bananas.

Windows explorer has become erratic on my XP machine. Intermittantly, explorer will shut down or lock up. The pattern seems to be that this occurs when I have done some extensive moving, copying or renaming of files in one folder in explorer, or particularly, when I have been working with graphic images in an individual folder with one of several graphic applications. When I attempt a Save As in these applications, often the application will immediately shut down.

A restart or cold boot doesn't help. Once the application has shutdown under these circumstances, and I open it again, it will always shutdown when I attempt to save a file from it using Save As ---unless (and this is the interesting part), unless I go into windows explorer and move the folder I was working with to a new location. Moving the folder always solves the problem...temporarily. I can then begin working with the files in the folder and Save As will function normally...for awhile. Once explorer gets funky again, I must repeat the process of moving the folder to another location.

The same holds true if explorer gets fragile when I do right click functions (copy, rename, etc.)...if I move the folder to another location, the problem goes away...until the next time.

During one of these fragile periods I attempted to open my FTP application and the app refused to recognize the local browser (windows explorer). Once I moved the folder I had been working with, the FTP app opened fine.

TrendMicro and Norton AV scans say I'm clean. I've run Spybot and AdAware, defragged, unplugged the USB hub (which sped up my startups immensely), uninstalled Kodak digital camera software as suggested by MS Knowledge base, and etc.

I'd sure appreciate some help.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: XP explorer faulting (XP Home)

If it just started,,you could try System Restore,,,also System File Checker,,and if that doesn't do it ya might try a Repair Install. You do have plenty Disk Space,,right?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for the response, Cowboy.
    This is not a new problem. I've been working around it for months. I'd just as soon avoid a system restore. SFC was a good suggestion, especially since explorer.exe seems to be the culprit here. I ran SFC/SCANNOW, but saw no results. Does XP drop the results in a log anywhere?
    I'm not familiar with "Repair Install."
    Yep, lots of gigs are available on the hd.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The results of the successful scan or other details are listed in Start>Run>Eventvwr.msc/System and the item is Windows File Protection at the time it completed. SFC is always a good suggestion because it has so little if anything in the way of a downside. But if it doesn't work, I'm getting the sense and I'm not singleling you out, that System Restore frightens people unnecessarily. You can always reverse the results of a System Restore with a couple clicks, the exception being when it is done in Safe Mode (usually when someone can't boot to Windows and F8's to Safe Mode). You don't lose programs or changes to them because those are tracked by SR. SR wasn't as successful before XP SP1, because it had a block to the points that was corrected with SP1.

Also See Post 338243.

SMBP

Banned Member
    Thanks