New Lounger
    Thanks

How can I force Excel to always open .prt files? (2000)

One NT 4 machine at work can open .prt files fine without going through the Conversion Wizard. Another NT 4 machine that I'm trying to replicate this on, cannot, and returns the error that the file I'm trying to open cannot be found.
    I've tried changing the file association by right-clicking and choosing <Open With>, then checking the box to always open the file with Excel. I get the same error as above. However, when I launch Excel first, and then open the file, the Conversion Wizard appears. I've updated the 2nd machine to SP2 to no avail. This particular unit won't install SP3, which I don't think the first computer has anyway.
    How can I force the 2nd unit's Excel to emulate the behavior of the first?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How can I force Excel to always open .prt files? (2000)

What is a .prt file? A text file of some kind? (Fixed width or delimited - if so, what is the delimiter?)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

How are you opening the file? By double clicking on it in Windows Explorer? If so, then I must assume that you have associated the .prt file extension with Excel since .prt (print file?) is not normally associated with Excel. The first thing that I would do would be to go to the machine where it works and look at the file association for .prt files in Windows Explorer and then make sure that the association on the other machine is the same.
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

This is the myriad of explanations I found for the .prt extension from (http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/fileextensionsp.asp)
    .prt CADKEY Part file
    Printer Configuration
    Printer driver (Dr.Halo)
    Printer-formatted file
    Pro/ENGINEER Model file
    Process Revolution Template file
    SCEdit Part file
    Unigraphics Part file

On the working computer, the user simply double-clicks on the file from within File Manager. The interesting part is that when I checked the file associations on the working computer, I noticed that .prt was associated with "Microsoft Excel Data Interchange Format". That association existed for both .PRT and .DIF files.
    On the non-working machine, "Microsoft Excel Data Interchange Format" was associated with just .dif files. I could not modify the existing association, so I tried to create another one, but was told that .prt was already associated with something else.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You need to edit what .prt is associated with and change the association there. Check what .prt is currently associated with and make sure this is not needed on that machine before you make any changes. Also record what the current association is before making any changes.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Sorry to be daft, but as you know that Excel will handle these files, can't you rename them from xxxxxx.prt to something like xxxxxxx.txt, ignoring the usual threats about screwing things up which windows will offer, in an attempt to fool NT into not getting in the way?
    The clever guys here will probably give you a way of doing that without getting your hands dirty. Or even knowing it, maybe.
    Just a thought.

New Lounger
    Thanks

That's an interesting suggestion, but I can't be sure that some other app does not use those files in their native file type. I'd prefer to keep the file unchanged, and just mimic the abilities of the working machine.