Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2002 keeps crashing; no error message (Outlook 2002)

Running Outlook 2002 (10.4712.4219) SP-2 on WinXP Pro 5.1.2600 SP1 Build 2600:

Outlook seem to crash for no discernible reason. It NEVER gives me an error message. At odd times Outlook just locks up, sometimes leaving the Outlook screens unaffected, sometimes turning the Outlook screens white. All I can do is blow away the session with Task Manager. I seriously doubt virus activity, as I am fanatical about updating my AV software (McAfee Pro 8.0) and scanning the system faithfully every few days. If anybody has had some experience with this (preferably with a solution!) and could respond with some suggestions, I can avoid further hair-tearing. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2002 keeps crashing; no error message (Outlook 2002)

How large is your PST? Outlook has problems with PSTs exceeding 2GB. The thread starting in <post#=282455>post 282455</post#> covers most remedies except for deleting and recreating your profile (except don't try anything that is specific to the Outlook version discussed there). Let us know what you have tried.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Size: Outlook.pst was 519 Mb last night, until I ran SCANPST.EXE last night. That inflated Outlook.pst to 558 Mb. So I'm still under the 2 Gb limit.

Other than running SCANPST.EXE, what have I done? A few weeks ago, I tried reducing the file size, eliminating older e-mails, etc., that weren't due for archiving for a few months yet. That knocked about 120 Mb off the file size. I also scraped some old files off the hard drive to boost my remaining HDD space to about 4.5 Gb (up from about 3.5 Gb). But I can't think of anything else to do, which is why I've come here to the MS Office Brain Trust!

Jim

Thanks

Other thoughts:
    1. <LI>You have lots of free RAM memory so Outlook can stretch its legs?
      <LI>You use Outlook as your mail editor, not the more error-prone Word?
      <LI>You use an external virus scanning proxy rather than a plug-in/add-in?
      <LI>You use an external spam identifying proxy rather than a plug-in/add-in? (If any anti-spam software, which one?)
      <LI>You have no software that syncs with Outlook (e.g., customer relationship management, sales force automation, handheld computer, etc.)?
      <LI>You have no unusual add-ins (e.g., software that organizes your life, supplemental task mangement, etc.)?
    Maybe we can find the culprit among the above. If not, perhaps the Help>Detect and Repair feature might fix it?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response. Let's see if I can respond to your points seriatim:

1) I have 384 Mb of RAM in this laptop (the machine in question).
    2) As much as I liked having the extra features of Word for the e-mail editor, that was just WAY too buggy, so I severed the relationship long ago. I only use Outlook's editing features.
    3) I'm not familiar enough with AV software to respond to this point intelligently. I am the full version using McAfee AV Pro 8.0, which was installed in the last six weeks. But this "crash" condition predates the installation of v. 8.0. (I had McAfee AV Pro 7.0 before this.) FWIW, I do note under Help > About > Disabled Items a McAfee Outlook-specific file called HAWKEX.DLL. I don't think I've seen this since McAfee AV 6.0.
    4) I use no anti-spam software, other than Outlook's own filter.
    5) I use 3Com HotSync Manager version 3.0.3, but that has been installed and used for several years, so it significantly pre-dates this crash problem.
    6) None recalled. I'm leery of add-ins, esp. "free" ones.

How does Help > Detect & Repair differ in purpose/results from SCANPST.EXE?

Thanks

Regarding the last question, yes, SCANPST.EXE checks the integrity of your PST file, while Detect and Repair checks the program files for the entire Office suite (it's a bit slow).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I'll be pounding on this machine pretty much all day, but I can run the Detect and Repair routine this evening.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, I ran Detect and Repair. To my surprise it went by rather quickly. Here's how things stand at the moment:

1) For 3 days after SCANPST, I had no further crashes. This may have been coincidental, as I have experienced periods when Outlook doesn't crash.
    2) D & R didn't report any errors.
    3) Crashing started again today.

2 Star Lounger
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Thanks

Well, under the heading of "Misery loves company", I am experiencing pretty much the same thing you are. After I get out of Outlook there is no indication in Task Manager that it is still active but CPU utilization is at 100% so I have to shut down/reboot. In the process of doing that, an End Program dialog box comes up for Outlook.exe and then the shutdown/restart proceeds normally. For what it is worth, when I do a search for .pst files, I find that I have (at least) six of them (outlook1 to outlook5.pst as well as just plain outlook.pst) with varying dates, not in chronological order. I have done Detect and Repair and that did not solve the problem. I will run Scanpst but I have the nasty feeling that will not be a permanent fix. I have to believe that there are many others out there (most who are probably absolutely clueless! LOL) who are experiencing this same situation. As a friend of mine used to say "I'm sure it will be an easy solution once we know what the problem is." I will continue to monitor this thread and hope for a final solution.