4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word Styles/Fonts (ALL/ALL)

General Question - looking for ideas really.

I am writing a document which will be used as a printed quide and a set of online help topics. For online help, we tend to use Verdana as our style (which I like very much - easier to read etc but perhaps I am looking at it from my personal point of view rather than the documentation standard) but for printed guide we use Arial (which I never liked and still don't like). I am in favour of using Verdana for both but what is the general view on the style to use for the printed guide. Unfortunately, I can only use 1 style for both types of documents (since I have textboxes & callouts defined in the document & somehow can't change the textbox sizes automatically to fit the style chosen).

Is Arial the standard for printed document? Could I use something other style which could fit in both types of document? How does Verdana sound as a style for both types of document? Is it acceptable? I am using Word to produce this document. Any ideas, suggestions welcome. Perhaps other styles that I am not aware of may be used now. If I could change the size of the text boxes/callouts on the fly depending on the style chosen would be cool but I don't think this is possible (then I would generate the printed document with one style and online help topics using another style).

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Robie
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Styles/Fonts (ALL/ALL)

Verdana has been designed especially for easy reading on screen; one of its characteristics is that the spacing between the letters is relatively wide. It takes up a lot more real estate than Arial. For printing, I prefer Verdana's twin Tahoma; the characters are exactly the same, but spacing is tighter. Tahoma is available on almost all PC's - it is used in dialog boxes in MS Office and in recent versions of Windows.

The ideal font for documents is the subject of heated debates. Some people argue that sans serif fonts such as Arial, Verdana and Tahoma should only be used in titles and headings, and that the body of a document should be set in a serifed font such as Times New Roman or Garamond. Others prefer to use only sans serif fonts, or only serifed fonts...

I think you should use whatever works best for you, never mind what the style gurus say.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Styles/Fonts (ALL/ALL)

Hi Robie

Just general information - you may find the Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications useful:
    File Name: mstp.exe
    Download Size: 1077 KB
    Date Published: 10/21/2002
    Version: 3.0
    Overview: Complete styles and guidelines for publishing a variety of technical publications.
    System Requirements
    Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows XP - 2 MB required disc space to download, install and operate.

Alan