5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

?2 Simultaneous wireless Networks

I have a thinkpad with an internal wireless card. I use it to connect to the boingo wireless network in a hotel or I am near one at my home so I can use this for my internet.
    I also have a wireless router IOGEAR with a built in print server that I can connect my HP laser printer to.
    I have to connect to either ONE OR THE OTHER network to get both wireless printing and wireless inernet BUT NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.
    Can't I just add a new wireless network under windows xopto make 2 simultaneous wireless networks active on windows XP SP1.?? to get both to work at the same time. Or do I have to buy a printer with a wireless card built in or this is still a problem no matter what. I don't have ability to hook an internet cable to the router so this is not a option. Or maybe I can somehow use the router to access the boingo wireless internet connection vs having my computer card go to it first.??? Hope this makes sense to someone or someone has had the same issues .
    Please help
    Jerome

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ?2 Simultaneous wireless Networks

Let me see if I understand clearly.

Wireless "A" is your connection to the Internet. Wireless "B" allows for printing.

You can choose to connect to the Internet, or to print - but not both at the same time, and what you hope to achieve is exactly that?

If I understand that correctly, yes, you can run more than one network adapter at the same time. You will need to set the default gateway for your Internet connection so that Windows can manage traffic for you.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark
    You have it correctly, But I am not certain i understand your repsonse, I only have one wireless card in the computer and 1 router with the print server in the router.
    Therefore the wireless card connects either to the router which has no internet attached to it OR to the wireless network being broadcast with the internet from the hotel. I therefore have to set the router to access the wireless internet site, Is that what you mean. And I am not certain how to do that.
    Jerome

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Ah! I was thinking that you had two wireless cards, but now I understand that you do not. There is one wireless card and you want to access both at the same time?
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes correct, sorry it was not clear. Is this possible with one card?
    Jerome

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jerome. You don't indicate which wireless IOGear router/print server you have. Neither is there reference to the model of your HP printer. If you have this IOGEAR router then the indication is that the router is tethered to the printer via a USB cable. Implying of course that your HP Printer must have a USB port. In this event, you then have to assigned the printer with a LAN address. The IOGEAR manual for the above mentioned router has about 20 pages in how to assign an address for your printer to your wireless environment.

Does this help???

Cheers,

Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No this does not help but thanks,
    1. It is an IOGear GWA 501.
    2. The HP Laserjet 2500 is attached by a usb cable to the GWA 501 router and is assigned an IP Address, but in reality this IP address is not seen by the internet. because you have to be loged onto the router for the printer to be seen.. If you logon to a wireless signal that is not from the router the HP IP address doesn't work
    3.Probably the only way to solve this is to hook into the wireless web signal that has the internet somehow through the router. I do not have access to a wired internet to hook into the router only into a wireless internet signal
    Jerome

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jerome, the link I sent was for your router/print server... the GWA 501.

However, I think I understand what you are trying to achieve. Essentially, the HP connected to the router should allow you to send a print task to the printer when your laptop is within signal range of the router's access point and therefore the devices should be able to connect without a problem.

On the other hand, if you are looking to gain access to your printer when you are out of range, say a few miles away, then you would be out-of luck... unless you had access points along the way, which I doubt you would have.

Did I read that correctly?

Cheers,

Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Again No You are misunderstanding No use a metaphor I feel as if I have returned to the Dos world with the wireless. I am either connected to my Router networ which has no Intenet but has the hp printer OR to a wireless signal from the hotel I live nearby which gives me the wireless internet boingo signal. But Alass I cannot connect to both simultaneously. I have to close one network and log onto another network depending on what I am doing.
    It would be nice for windows to allow me to have 2 networks one that has my router and hp printer and one other network that has the fast wireless internet.
    Or maybe I could somehow get the router to see the fast wireless internet signal as well.
    Jerome

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Simple answer NO!
    Two network connections require two NIC's
    If you have 1 built into your computer then you need to buy a USB or PC Card NIC and set it up for the 2nd network.