Thread: reinstall me

New Lounger
    Thanks

reinstall me

Is it ok to install me over a trashed version of me??? Don't want to do a format of the hard drive if I can get away with it...
    Thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: reinstall me

I don't know what you mean by "trashed," but doing a repair install is normally OK and normally will not disrupt any installed software or most settings. If a few minor settings get changed, it's normally not a problem to catch and change. Notice I use the word "normally" quite freely here. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a good, recent backup of YOUR data, just in case - you've met that guy called Murphy, I'm sure. Depending on what's corrupt or trashed, however, doing a repair install doesn't always fix everything, especially if what's disturbing your OS's performance IS in the area of a setting or two or three...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

As Al stated, it is OK to install over the top- but I would strongly recommend that you start with a clean slate with any Win9x operating system. A reinstall will only do so much - it will not correct a burned up registry, nor will it will not remove any dead or orphaned files in the system directory. At best, it may mask a problem that really needs attention.

If I might be so bold, why do you want to avoid formatting the drive? And I too am curious as to exactly what you mean by trashed - can you provide some specifics on what has led you to the decision to reinstall?
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

bigaldoc: Thanks so much for the info. Sorry it took so long to reply back, but this info was for my grandaughters puter and I just this morning had a chance to work on it.... all went well and she is up and running again. Thanks again......