New Lounger
    Thanks

DDE Server Window (Office XP )

I am using Office XP SP2 and Windows XP SP1 with all the Microsoft recommended updates (with probably a few that Woody don't recommend! :-))

I do a bit of copying and pasting from IE 6 SP1 web pages downloaded (again, with all the recommended, etc) into Word XP. Every now and then, on shutting down the computer the message "DDE server window is not responding" appears. It makes no difference if I let XP go through the motions of allowing the server window to shut down gracefully by itself. A number of files (four or
    five) are left in %temp%, some with the acr*.tmp, others with h2r*.tmp and r2h*.tmp. These can't be deleted until XP has been restarted. Using Task Manager I find that the number of processes have increased by about 3 or 4 from what it usually is.

All I can think of is to do an Office XP detect and repair(?).

Thanks in advance! Bert Smith

Thanks

Re: DDE Server Window (Office XP )

I'm not clear on whether you are opening the pages directly into Word (e.g., File>Open>URL) or pasting from Internet Explorer. Either way, Word will attempt to preserve links to the web, which can save on storage space but create reliability issues. You might try "locking" linked images, for example, to pictures by using Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink their field codes. That's the only thing that comes immediately to mind.

New Lounger
    Thanks

My sincere and grateful thanks for your reply. I am copying the material from pages downloaded by IE6 (CTRL C) and then using CTRL V to paste into Word XP. Usually, there are no problems, but just recently there have been several instances of the annoying "DDE server not responding" issue on shutdown. I will try what you suggest. Cheers!

New Lounger
    Thanks

The problem of the DDE Server Window not responding to the shut down process is much more widespread than I first imagined.

From what I can now gather it is a Windows problem and not an Office problem.

It is not confined to English language versions of Windows.

It has been around for years, in 98, Me, NT, 2000, and XP.

It may be due to Microsoft's DCOM.

It may be due to HP PCL6 drivers being installed. I had an online chat with HP support about this, and the answers given to my questions were a bit "cagey". They suggested uninstalling the printer driver for my HP 2300D and seeing if the problem was still there. (I have their latest printer driver, I will uninstall this and go back to an earlier version.) I think that they know more about this than they were willing to admit! :-)

Worst of all, it is an intermittent problem.

First, I have run Steve Gibson's DCOMbobulator and disable DCOM. So far, so good!

Cheers and best wishes to all.