Thanks

Name Conflicts (2002)

I have a template that uses names for several columns. When I save worksheets from this template, everything works great.

But I'd like to combine several of these worksheets into a workbook. When I do this, I get all sorts of cautions about duplicate names, and I don't know how to respond.

Help!
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks

Re: Name Conflicts (2002)

It depends on if you want all the names to refer to the same cells or create "separate" copies of the name which are only good on the worksheet.

If (eg) you have a name "Bill" that refers to Sheet1!A5

If you try to copy a worksheet (Sheet2) into that workbook that Also has a name "Bill" that refers to Sheet2!A5 there is a name conflict. Excel is asking you if you want to keep "Bill" as a
    global name and change the "refers to" for the Bill that refers to Sheet2!A5 so that it refers to Sheet1!A5 or do you want to create a "Local copy" of Bill (Sheet2!Bill that refers to Sheet2!A5) in addition to the global name "Bill" (refers to Sheet1!A5).

If you keep only the "global copy" any reference to "BILL" on sheet2 will now be "linked" to sheet1. If you make an additional local name, on any sheet but Sheet2, bill will refer to Sheet1A5. On SHeet2, bill will refer to SHeet2A5.

Hope this helps,
    Steve

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Download and use my Name Manager from http://www.jkp-ads.com/NameManager.zip.

It will help clarify what Steve told you about local and global names, because it will show them all.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Thanks

Thanks, guys. You've provided everything I need. My desire, by the way, is to have all names apply only to a single worksheet. One question remains:

Is there a way to establish a name so it is always treated as a local name? If there is, I could use it in my template. Then the names in the worksheets created from it would all be local names, and I could put the worksheets into a workbook without having to worry about local/global matters.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks

when you go to insert - name -define, when you enter the name, precede it with (eg) the sheet name
    <pre>'Sheet 1'!Name</pre>

The singlequotes are required if you have a space in the sheet name, but will not cause a problem if you have no spaces.

Steve

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can also easily see and edit, localise/globalise Names with the Names Navigator in Navigator Utilities.