Star Lounger
    Thanks

Networking Quandary

I'm networking two computers: one WinXP Home, the other Win98. Each are using dialup so I have not set up ICS. When I use a switch or connect them together directly using a crossover wire each only shows itself in the workgroup. However if I connect them to a router they are able to share fine. What am I missing here? TIA, J

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Networking Quandary

<hr>...if I connect them to a router they are able to share fine... <hr>
    That would seem to indicate that you must have the router and the two PCs setup to use DHCP. I'm not familiar with connecting with a crossover or what you mean by "switch" but it looks to me like you'd be well served to stick with a router - maybe a "little" extra security, if not ease of use. If you like, give us a little more info for further study.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Networking Quandary

Al is on the money. The router functions as your DHCP server and assigns an IP address to each workstation. When you connect with the crossover cable, neither PC assigns itself an IP address. If you set the IP addresses manually, they should be able to communicate via the crossover cable.

Alternately, you can diddle about with NetBIOS names and other network protocols, but personally I would stick with TCP/IP and not add network protocols that are really not necessary.
    -Mark