New Lounger
    Thanks

problem with normal.dot (Office XP)

I just got a new hd, and because there were bad sectors on the old drive, the new drive has a fresh install of Windows (98SE) and I've had to reload all my programs. I reinstalled Office 97, then reinstalled Office XP, replacing 97. But now I can't use Word! When I open anything, I get the error box WORD CANNOT OPEN THE EXISTING (NORMAL.DOT). When I hit OK, I get another error box, THE DOCUMENT NAME OR PATH IS NOT VALID. TRY THESE SUGGESTIONS. *CHECK THE FILE PERMISSIONS FOR THE DOCUMENT OR DRIVE.*USE THE FILE OPEN DIALOG BOX TO LOCATE THE DOCUMENT. After I hit OK again, I get a blank document instead of the document I was trying to open. Then when I try to quit out, I get the error box, THE FILE NORMAL.DOT ALREADY EXISTS. DO YOU WANT TO REPLACE THE EXISTING FILE? It doesn't matter if I choose Yes, No, or Cancel, Word still goes to the Save As box, prompting me to rename the normal.dot template. Again, it doesn't matter if I put in a new name and try to save it, save the old name, or cancel, I still then get the error box, CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE THAT AFFECT THE GLOBAL TEMPLATE, NORMAL.DOT. DO YOU WANT TO SAVE THOSE CHANGES? Again, it doesn't matter if I say Yes, No, or Cancel. I get back to Word with no document open at all, then I can X out of the program to quit. Needless to say, it doesn't matter if I open a document by double-clicking or by going into Word and choosing File/Open. As a matter of fact, I can't find anything that works! I can't even create a new document! I've uninstalled and reinstalled, with no success. Can anybody help me? What do I do now? P.S. Excel works fine, PowerPoint doesn't. Haven't tried Access yet...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: problem with normal.dot (Office XP)

Edited by Phil Rabichow to add last paragraph
    Hi Charlie:
    Search your hard drive for any instances of normal.dot & rename them to normal.old, normal.old2, etc. Then restart Word. If that doesn't work, then go to Start/Settings/Folder Options/File Types tab. Scroll to Microsoft Word Document & click Edit, then click Open, Edit, & make sure that the entries look like the attachment. However, your path to winword.exe will differ!!

Finally, if the above doesn't work, try the steps at <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>.
    Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images