New Lounger
    Thanks

Word Document Compression (2000)

Hi All,

I have a problem with some of the users' Word documents at the company I work for. I've noticed many users have documents over 100Mb in size! I've taken a look and this is pretty much all down to the Images in the documents.

I need a way to compress the documents. By this I mean some kind of tool that will go through the documents and compress all the pictures in them. I've tried the whole copy-paste into new docs, I've tried some software called Packword and none of them make any difference - it's definately the images in there that need compressing. I could do it manually, but there're a LOT.

I've heard that Word 2002 has this feature as an option accessible from the picture toolbar? If so, I may end up getting a copy. Our company currently uses Word 2000 as a standard though so I'd prefer a third-party tool or some other method.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
    Rgds,
    Chris.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Document Compression (2000)

Word 2002 does a reasonably effective job of this. Select any picture, Format Picture, Compress, "All pictures in document"

StuartR

Thanks

My comments would be in <post#=288698>post 288698</post#> and <post#=291574>post 291574</post#>. Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tips. Interesting Info on the copying and pasting - thanks.

The thing is that I know how I can manually make the documents smaller (i.e. getting the images out of Word, into an image app, then back into Word), it's just that there are a lot of them and I wondered if there was an app/ macro that did it.

Thanks for the tips though - much appreciated. Looks like I might have to go for Word 2002 after all.

Chris.

Thanks

One way to get all the images out is to Save As to HTML. You should get a folder full of JPG and PNG files, the former being better for pictures, the latter better for screen shots. I can't recall whether these are in the original size or reflect the sizing applied to them in Word (or maybe even the cropping?).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yeh, I tried this and then pushed all the JPEG files through an image compressor. It helped a little, but the main bulk of the files were .wmz files.

Thanks again,
    Chris.

Thanks

I wonder whether WMZ indicates converted clip art (like WMF, Windows Metafile)? Not what I would expect as a web format...