New Lounger
    Thanks

vanishing toolbar customisation (XL2000)

Hi

Apologies if this is well known...
    I customised my XL toolbars, removing useless buttons, adding others and creating a couple of new ones.
    Today the customisation simply vanished! Back to the default toolbars! No, I didn't do anything special apart
    from opening a CSV file (I'm using Win XP Pro).

Is the customisation kept in a file/template/whatever? I got a laptop with identical XL/OS/customisation and could get
    it from there. Also would be nice to be able to carry a customisation from one machine to another...
    I did root around but couldn't find anything

Any ideas on how/why this might have happened?

Many thanks

RB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: vanishing toolbar customisation (XL2000)

General toolbar customizations are kept in a file with extension .xlb. Its exact name and location vary with the version of the Operating System and of Excel. Once you have set the toolbars the way you want, you can make a backup copy of this file. Sometimes, it becomes corrupt. If you suspect this, delete it and restore the backup copy to the correct location. You can also copy the .xlb file to another computer and open it (by double clicking.)

It is also possible to store custom toolbars in a workbook; the toolbar will be displayed automatically the first time the workbook is opened.

Thanks

In addition to becoming corrupted, some addins and other macros will modify the menu and instead of writing the correct code to restore it, they take the "lazy" way out and just reset the toolbars to the factory default.

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

Thanx to Hans and Steve
    Yes, I did find that .xlb. Used to be in C:windows in XL97. It's now in c:docs and settingsuser nameApp DataMicrosoftExcel
    Obviously didn't root around enough
    Live and learn...

Regards

RB