Master Document Broken Links

I am using Word 2000, and have experienced problems if I have to move a Master Document from one location to another. For example, if I Zip the document and migrate from one machine to another, the links in the TOC are sometimes broken. Other times, the links to documents disappear or point to the wrong place. Any suggestions?

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA

Re: Master Document Broken Links

The consensus among those offering advice on the Microsoft Word newsgroups is that using the Master Document feature is a sure way to destroy your document. It can destroy parts of your document that you are not even working on! I think John McGhie said it succinctly when he said that there are two kinds of Master Documents: Those that are corrupt and those that will be corrupt soon. See (<A target="_blank" HREF=> for information on the Master Document feature and workarounds. See (<A target="_blank" HREF=> for more information on what goes wrong, and (<A target="_blank" HREF=> for ideas on how to salvage what you can.

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Master Document Broken Links

Okay, I never used a Master Document in my life... The online help says this can happen if the folder names change:
    <hr>When I saved my master document to a different folder, the subdocuments weren't saved with it.

You might have saved the master document to a different folder on your hard disk or on a network. To work with a master document and subdocuments in a new location, first do the following:

1. <LI>Display the master document in outline view.
      <LI>Open the subdocument that you want to save to a new location.

If the subdocuments are collapsed, click the hyperlink of the subdocument you want to open.

If the subdocuments are expanded, double-click the subdocument icon of the subdocument you want to open. (Click Master Document View on the Outlining toolbar if you cannot see the subdocument icon.)

<LI>On the File menu, click Save As.
      <LI>To save the copy in a different folder, click a different drive in the Save in box, or click a different folder name in the folder list, or both.
      <LI>In the File name box, type a new name for the document.
      <LI>Click Save.
      <LI>On the File menu, click Close.
      <LI>Repeat steps 2 through 7 for each subdocument, and then save the master document to the new location.
    I think what this means, as a practical matter, is that the path to the new location on the second system should be identical to the original, and then it can be moved after that. Otherwise, it may not be possible to reassemble it.

I am curious. If you show all fields (Alt+F9) in a master document, does it show the document paths to the subdocuments? If so, perhaps they could be edited manually.