Star Lounger
    Thanks

Never ending print jobs

Hi there,

I had an HP Laserjet 1200 connected to a computer (via the parallel port).
    I disconnected the 1200 because I wanted to use a 2100 instead, so I connected an HP Laserjet 2100, installed it and I couldn't print to it. It said there was an error printing to LPT1 do I want to retry.
    So, I put the 1200 back and I couldn't print to that either. To make it work, I had to connect the 1200 via the USB port, which is fine except...
    ... everytime I restart the computer, a whole bunch of old printjobs appear in the queue for the 1200 and proceed to print out.

Anyone know how I can stop this from happening?

Thanks

Emily

Thanks

Re: Never ending print jobs

Are you disconnecting/connecting to the parallel port with W2K running, or with the PC switched off?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Leif,
    I had originally connected the 2100 whilst it was all still on and later though this might be a bad idea.
    Tho, when I later reconnected the 1200, I did switch off before doing so.
    What I don't understand is why jobs sent to the LPT port are coming out of the USB port.
    Any ideas?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The actual port is irrelevant. This is where Windows steps in...a document requests a print job, and Windows manages the port and document separately, all in the background. So long as Windows knows which port the device is attached to, anything in the queue will come out the other end.

Sometimes what you are experiencing can happen because there is a stranded document in the Spool directory (default location is WINNTSystem32Spool). Each local printer has its own directory underneath this root where documents are cached before printing. Shut down the spooler service and remove any documents that are stuck in the printer's folder under Spool.

Hope that helps, but of course if it doesn't post back!
    -Mark