New Lounger
    Thanks

Error 25090 applying office maintenance (Office 2003)

I have run into a situation with Office 2003 where I am no longer able to install any patches or updates and have not been able to find help or information about the error that was at all helpful so I'm hoping you might have had some other correspondence about the issue or can point me to some information that would be helpful.

I have Office 2003 Enterprise Edition installed on Windows/XP. For some reason, all attempts to install updates from the Office update site fail with no indication of an error. If I download the patch files and run them locally I get the following error:

Error 25090: Office Setup encountered a problem with the Office
    Source Engine, system error: -2147024703. Please open ....setup.chm and look for "Office
    Source Engine" for information on how to resolve this problem.

This error is displayed at the point where installation reports "Updating component registration" which sounds right given the description in the chm file.

If you look at the referenced item there are 2 things to try...I've done them both without any success. Looking at the services on the system there is an Office Source Engine", it is there but marked as "manual" .. attempting to start the service generates an error:

Could not start the Office Source Engine service on Local Computer.
    Error 193: 0xC1

So I'm kind of stuck.

I've looked on the web and did find a reference http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;827467 but (a) none of the conditions apply to me as best as I can tell and ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] none of the fixes corrected the issue.

I've also un installed everything from Office 2003 including going through the registry and removing anything I could find related to Office 11, then reinstalled but I still get the error.

I'm (more or less) sure that the issue is related to the Office Source Engine service error above but I can't find any information on how to correct the issue. One option I did find was to replace the OSE.exe because it was "damaged" ... did that, no change.

I've posted a question related to this on the MS community site related to Office but no response there either.

Hope someone can help or point me to some information that can help.

Thanks
    Neil

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error 25090 applying office maintenance (Office 2003)

Hi I have had the same error and did all of the procedures recommended by Microsoft and still get the error not a valid patch and verify you have a valid installer. the office 2003 programs function ok just that I am unaaaaable to use Office update or repair and detect feature. Have you received any indication that there is a patch download to remedy the problem?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It appears that <!mskb=834581>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 834581<!/mskb> describes exactly your situation - but you appear to have attempted both resolutions. Both possibilities I can think of seem pretty far-fetched, but I can't think of any others, so I'll toss them out. One is that the CD you have is defective in the area where the the OSE.EXE file is stored. The other is that the location where that file is stored on your hard drive is somehow faulty - and that's a real stretch. You could test that by simply renameing the existing file and then copy the file from your cd to the correct folder per the MSDB article.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

I actually tried what you suggested with no luck. I renamed the file (OSE.EXE) and copied it from the original CD..no difference. I've even tried to copy the file from another Win/XP system with Office 2003 installed (after checking the version to make sure they were the same) with no luck, not difference.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hmmmm - by chance did you have an older version of Office (2000, XP, 97) installed on the PC, or did you receive a system that Office Small Business installed? Many strange things have been noted when that is the case - I got lucky on both my laptop and my desktop but others have reported all sorts of strange things happening until they actually used a clean-up utility to make sure all vestiges of whatever old version of Office that was left lying around. I suppose another possibility is some other MS program (VB and VISIO have both been reported to cause trouble) that was installed before Office or after Office and changed the version of a file (or Office didn't replace a file it should have).
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

I suspect that it is something related some other program ... since Office was (in my last try) the last application that I installed it could be that some file is not being updated as it should. I do (however) have Office XP still installed on my laptop...actually only Word and the Office toolbar from XP (since that was removed form Office 2003 as best as I can tell and I use it. I did totally remove OfficeXP .. but did reinstall it prior to doing the Office 2003 installation back when I started from scratch. The reason I'm thinking it is some other "yet to be identified" program causing the problem is that I have another laptop with a similar Office configuration installed that works fine. It has Office 2000 and Office 2003 installed however not the Office/XP, Office 2003 combination.

You referenced a utility program to totally remove all vestiges of old Office that is laying around. Can you point me to that utility?

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

I believe that the OSE is new with Office 2003 so it is not used (and does not come with) Office XP. This is a service that runs on Win/XP , NT, 2000, 2003 etc. There is a path the service .. points to the right place. There are actually 2 copies of the ose.exe file on my system. I've compared them and they are identical.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Neil:
    <post#=264305>post 264305</post#> lists a clean up utility for Office 97; however, I don't know if it works for later versions. In fact, that was one of the questions raised in the particular thread. I don't have either your Office or OS version to check, but you might check the registry & see if there is a path mentioned for ose.exe or for the Office setup. One thing is sure, if you have two versions of Office on your machine, they must be installed into separate folders. & you must install the latest version last. It sounds like you've done this.

When you replaced ose.exe before, I assume that you searched the hard drive for all copies of it. It may be far out, but I suppose it's possible that if you had more than one copy & only replaced one, your OS is still trying to use the other. I know Windows 98 had a System File Checker that could replace corrupt system files, but I don't know what the equivalent is in Win XP.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thought I'd update the post with progress (or lack there of) in hopes that someone would have some new ideas.

I've uninstalled all office versions and components and tried installing Office 2003. Everything completes fine but I'm still not able to apply maintenance....same error as before.

Not sure if there is anything left to do...I've started looking seriously at OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org) to replace MS Office. It seems to work fine, none of these update issues and I'm even able to open PPT presentations that MS Office PPT says it can not read (for some reason). Once opened I can save the PPT and (magically) Powerpoint can read them.

If anyone has a suggestion as to what to do about the office issue I'd appreciate it. Does anyone know if the office updates have some required version of the Windows installer and that may not be correct even though there are no error messages displayed that would indicate such a problem.

I'm down to that kind of strange thinking.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error 25090 applying office maintenance (Offic

Just went through a reinstall and have all versions of Office from 97 onwards installed in full. Service Patches and Hotfixes from the Office Update site have all installed without any problem. I'm on WinXP Pro - fully patched. HTH

Edited: Do you have any Security or blocking software installed? Is so, what is it?
    Gre