Star Lounger
    Thanks

access permission

Frequently when trying to access folders on my network of 2 computers, I get an error message saying that the computer I want access to is not accessible and I don't have permission to use this network resource. It then says to contact the adminestrator to find out if I have access permission. This is good pretzel logic to me. Can anyone explain what MS is talking about here and how I can grant the access the error message tells me I don't have?

Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: access permission

<UL><LI>Do you have a user account set up on both computers with identical user names and passwords?
    <LI>What are the operating systems on each computer?
    <LI>What kind of network are you using and how are they (the computers) connected to it?[/list]
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am running XP Pro on both machines. Both are in the same workgroup, but each computer has its own name. They are running through a broadband router. They also have BlackIce firewall insalled but it is currently turned off.

Yesterday I could get the machines to recognize each other, if not allow access tof iles. This morning they won't even recognize each other's existance.

My printer is hooked up to #1 and #2 is allowed to print from it.

I found networking in 98SE so much more simple than in XP

Thanks

Peter,
    Are you by chance switching the router off when you shut down your computers? If so, try leaving the router on all the time. I have had this problem when one of the kids has powered the router off. It sometimes takes two or three power-off / power-on tries before everything is running smoothly again. Try switching off all of the equipment, wait a few minutes, power on the router first, wait a few minutes, and then power on the computers one at a time.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Do the user accounts exist on both PCs? Not the computer name, but the name and password that you log in to Windows with.

Make sure the XP firewall is turned off on both systems as well. It can cause problems like this.

If you open a command prompt (Start - Run - CMD) and ping {workstation name} what happens? Does it time out, or do you get a reply from the machine being pinged? Try this from both machines. If you can ping but not access files, it is likely a permissions problem. If you cannot ping, there is probably a networking issue.

Another thought, check to see if "Simple File Sharing" is turned on (the default is on). If so, disable it.

Networking in Windows 98 was simpler because it was not a secure operating system with support for permissions the way that they are implemented in XP. Believe it or not, the frustration you are experiencing is a direct result of the operating system being better.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,
    I've tried all suggestions. It certainly has convinced me that the issue is with permissions. Yet I've shared all the folders and set permissions to be open. When I look at folders on #1, they have the little hand under them to denote sharing. When I look at the folders in #1 from #2 computer, the little hand is not there.

I am at a loss.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK. I've dug some more. Some access has been restored but I still cannot get computer #2 to access an external HD attached to computer #1.

Also, when I click on View Network Computers in the My Network Places, it tells me that the workgroup name is not accessible and the list of servers for this workgroup is currently not available. When I check on Workgroup names [System, computer names] my Workgroup names are the same on both computers.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Go to the properties of the external drive click on sharing if there is a $ sign on the share it is only accessible from an Administrator Account by going to run or the address bar and typing in the path.
    While in the sharing tab click new share and give it a name then you can go into permissions and everyone should be in there click any permissions you want. Now it should show up in my network places.
    It has been awhile since I did this so you might have to reboot to get it all set. Delete the share, in network places, that you can't use from the other computer.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

After hours, days and weeks working on this issue, along with the gracious help and suggestions of those people who answered my question and offered to help, a solution has been found. It cost me $300 and the services of a professional who came out to my house and spent 3 hours poking around everything. He kept saying it looked like a firewall problem and I kept insisting there was no firewall on either of my 3 computers.

I was wrong.

After uninstalling Black Ice software firewall protection, the network is up and running like a champ.