New Lounger
    Thanks

Nortel USB Phone installation help (XP Home 5.01.2600 SP1)

I have a Nortel Meridian 9617 desk telephone that connects to the PC through USB and uses some Nortel call management software that isn't great and was never updated, but I've grown accustomed to it. Nortel, alas, is out of the consumer business and stopped supporting the product even before I bought it. This phone and its software worked fine on Win98SE.

I purchased a new computer with XP Home. I've installed the software onto this XP machine and it seems to work okay. When I plug in the phone, it IS recognized for what it is by PnP, and XP asks for the install CD, looking for the M9617.SYS file, which I supply. But then I get this message:

"The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor."

Obviously, contacting Nortel is out--nothing on their website comes close to this problem. But the message implies that if the installation information was updated so that XP could read it in correctly, the phone might properly synchronize with the software. Both the INF and SYS files on the CD make references to Win NT as well as Win 95, so I'm hoping one or both of these files could be easily updated to work with XP. But such a project is way out of my league.

If anyone has experience revising INF and/or SYS files and can offer some guidance, or can point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Re: Nortel USB Phone installation help (XP Home 5.01.2600 SP1)

Mike,

Have you tried to run this program with the "program compatibility wizard" to make it think it's running under WIn98SE?

Go to Start>Programs>Accessories and click on the wizard there. You can set it so that it fools XP into thinking it's really SE.
    You can also manually set compatibility by right clicking on the program and clicking properties to get to the compatibility tab.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Bob--

Thanks for the reply. Although I knew about the compatability wizard, I looked at it again after I read your post. It doesn't seem to offer any help when the problem is hardware installation. It might be useful if I can ever get the hardware (USB telephone) installed, though,so thanks for reminding me.

Mike

Thanks

Mike,

When you go to the wizard and it asks you where is the program, can't you point it to the CD for those files and then select the sys & inf files to make compatible?

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

I went back and gave it the old college try.......every possible way I can think of.

But in the end, the Wizard says it can't do anything because the SYS and INF files are not executable.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Some hardware will NOT be supported by Windows XP. It appears that you have one. Since the maker of your phone does NOT support it, I think you are up the creek without a paddle. You are going to have to look into getting some different hardware and service.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Have you tried this. Copied from Nortel site:

How to get Support

Aastra Telecom, Inc. purchased Nortel Networks
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe--

Yes, I know Aastra. As I recall, they bought up Nortel's telephone inventory when Nortel decided to try and make a living solely on networking, or some similar nonsense (like Lucent).

Aastra answers the 9617 question on their website as follows:

<hr>1) What operating system is the 9617 USB compatible with?
    It is compatible with Windows 95 and Windows 98 first edition. It is not compatible with Windows 2000 and Windows NT.
    2) Will there be an upgrade software version?
    No, we do not plan to have an upgrade software version for the current Windows 98 version.
    <hr>
    However, I believe their answer to #1 is wrong. The SYS file makes specific references to NT installation.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I suppose I'm being stubborn about this, but I'm still hoping somebody out there knows how to write INF and SYS files and can make a simple translation of a few lines of code.

But maybe not.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave A--

It's possible you're correct. However, since the software installed correctly and runs without a problem, and since the phone is designed to use the USB connection only as a data line the same way a serial port peripheral works, it doesn't really make sense to me that the hardware should be completely incompatible. In my view, the hardware was designed to work and did work with both flavors of Windows (98 and NT) in the past; why shouldn't it work with XP?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It appears that it is the "USB Drivers" that are being used are not written for the newer OS's. These drivers will need to be updated.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks

Modifying the installation files may not be sufficient. The drivers may not work with XP. XP has different requirements that 98 and NT. If the 98 drivers operated directly with the hardware they won't work with XP. And there is good chance that an NT driver won't work either. Have you tried contacting Aastra directly with your question about the install (not just relying on the website)?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have talked to Aastra directly. They are not interested in this question. When you call them, you get the same answer that you get on their website. In fact, they read it to you. Aastra is not my answer.

Administrator
    Thanks

Well if they aren't interested you're probably out of luck. If they bought the business from Nortel they're the ones who have the knowledge about the phone and seems like they've made the decision not to upgrade drivers. You can try searching the web but I doubt you'll have much luck.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

That was the point of the first posting. I'm looking for people who ARE interested in re-writing the drivers.

Administrator
    Thanks

Well, if you are really interested in learning how to change INF files perhaps you ought to do some searching on the MS Technet site or the MS MSDN site. I'd guess that searching for 'inf syntax' or 'inf structure' or something similar should get you lots of reading material.

Joe
    Joe