Thread: connect

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

connect

Hi, I just bought a used computer. When I turn it on it wants to connect to the internet right away. How or where do I go to make it stop.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: connect

Need more info, please. What operating system? What message do you get that it's trying to connect? If you cancel that message or whatever it takes NOT to connect, does the OS go to the desktop screen alright?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The operating system is a windows Me. What happens is that when I turn on the computer the pop up to connect comes up. Just as if I clicked on the internet Explorer to search the net or my microsoft outlook to check my email. When I turn on the computer I might want to just work with my office programs and not want to connect to the internet at all. So I always have to click on the work offline.

Thanks

The first thing is to make sure nothing is trying to 'phone home - see the Spyware start post.
    Check anything in your Startup folder - see this thread for some clues to check out MSConfig

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

After you do the suggestions Leif made, take a look at Internet Options, either in IE or thru Control Panel to see if the "Always dial..." box is checked. My attached example is grayed out because I have broadband.