New Lounger
    Thanks

Getting Include Heading Level No. setting in Word (Word 9.0)

I used to have some very useful WordBasic macros that I am now in the process of converting to VBA. Most of the code converts to VBA well but I am stumped with how to get the setting for including the number of the previous heading level for a nominated built-in heading style.

For example, if the Heading1 style uses Arabic numbering (e.g. 1, 2, 3), I want to be able to determine whether the Heading2 style is set include the number of the Heading1 style in its numbering (e.g. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3).

This was done with the Include parameter in Wordbasic. The converted (to VBA) code looks like thisL

'Get include value from H2
    Dim FHN As Object: Set FHN = WordBasic.DialogRecord.FormatHeadingNumber(False)
    FHN.Level = 2
    WordBasic.CurValues.FormatHeadingNumber FHN
    H2IncludePreviousNumber = FHN.include
    'Set include value for H2
    WordBasic.FormatHeadingNumber include:=H2IncludePreviousNumber

Interestingly, while I cannot retrieve the include value I can set it using the above method.

I am quite happy to relinquish the old Wordbasic code but I cannot for the life of me find out how to do what I want with VBA.

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Getting Include Heading Level No. setting in Word (Word 9.0)

On reflection, I could have asked my question a little more clearly.

What I want to know is, using VBA, how can you extract from a nominated heading style whether that heading level is set to have the numbers of preceding heading levels added to it.

That is, what is the setting that specifies that the Heading 2 style should include the number of the Heading 1 style? This isn't a particular number or a numbering style but a Yes or No to include numbering from a previous level.

The Microsoft advice on equivalent Wordbasic - VBA functions says that you should use "ListGalleries(WdListGalleryType).ListTemplates(nu m).ListLevels(num)" in place of the old Wordbasic FormatHeadingNumber command but I can't see how it can provide what I want.

I would be really glad if someone could solve this for me.

Cheers.

Thanks

Hi,

In Word, click on Bullets and Numbers, click on the Outline numbering tab, choose a numbering scheme and click customize. In that dialog, click the More button and look at the bottom of the dialog. There is an ambiguously named checkbox: Legal style numbering

Check that and the number will be attached to the previous level number.

Hope this is the hint you were looking for,
    Kim

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The VBA versions of Word allow you more flexibility with your lower level numbering so a simple boolean won't be enough on the levels lower than 2.

This code will return the included numbering for Heading 2
    Debug.Print ActiveDocument.Styles("Heading 2").ListTemplate.ListLevels(2).NumberFormat

In your sample this would return a string "%1.%2" where %1 is the Heading 1 number. You can run a function over this string to return a boolean value if you wish.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks Kim and Andrew. I will give them a try.

Cheers.