3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Home Network with laptops (XP Home)

My difficulties lie in trying to connect three computers reliably and mechanically when they are not all present all the time.

Work laptop running W2k, normally not connected to home network. I boot this locally at work and map to company directories with "net use

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Home Network with laptops (XP Home)

Aren't you really running a workgroup at home? Domains and workgroups are two different animals. Anyway, try disabling the network connection before disconnecting at work.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Mike,
    According to Microsoft, you must indeed do a reboot each time you connect to your home network. See http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadban...ps_domains.mspx and http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...cf_omn_wrta.asp .
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Joe and John,

I have now printed (really need to think about this!) John's link to "Mircosoft - differences between a domain and a workgroup". I actually found that although I could see the work laptop in network places it refused me access - interesting....

Thanks again,

Mike C

Administrator
    Thanks

Mike, You need to be aware that when you join a domain the PC is assigned a unique ID by the domain controller. If you leave the domain and rejoin you will NOT get the same ID. So, fi you had network resources that were dependent on the prior ID you may be not be able to access them. Also, you get a different set of local user files for the domain even though the old ones are still there they are associated with the prior ID. What you may want to try is to add a local user account on the Win2k PC with the access rights you want and then connect as a that user from your home XP systems.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Joe,

Thanks, and that is exaclty what is frustrating me. I didnt have a chance to get onto this last night but what you describe is what I have done. I have created a unique user on the w2k laptop, explicitly shared the folders I am interested in and have tried to connect using that users name and password. Nothing - well a very positive rejection as being not authorised!

Also I have a bunch of connections which I assume are past connections with "resume at logon" set, and I dont know how to purge them. These are almost certainly not doing any harm, but they sure as heck obscure what may be going on.

My router acts as domain controller I think and passes out addresses - does this sound right?

There are just not enough hours in the day....

Mike C

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When you specify the username in this scenario you need to include the computer name or domain name like this

DomUser
    CompUser

This way the target system knows which username you are trying to supply.

StuartR

Administrator
    Thanks

Mike, No your router does NOT act as a domain controller. It acts as a DHCP manager handing out IP addresses and a firewall. If you do not have a Windows (either NT,2k, or 2k3) server setup to act as a domain controller you have a workgroup. Workgroups are a type of peer-to-peer networking where no one PC is in charge. Here's a rather old article about troubleshooting that you can relatively easily adapt to your situation: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...ot/acdenid1.asp. Here's a Windows XP article that claims to be an introduction: Introduction to Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking. Maybe these will shed a little light on the situation for you.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the references Joe, It seems almost churlish to ask if both the links were supposed to go to the same troubleshooting page?

Interestingly by the time it got into our email system both links actually looked identical - the front of house text got stripped away somehow

Thanks again,

Mike C

Administrator
    Thanks

Mike, Sorry. I forgot Technet does not update the address in the IE tool bar all the time. Try this: Introduction to Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Got it, thanks

Mike C

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all for your help. I think I understand what you all said, and the bones of the reference material you directed me at.

Travelling tentatively, I renamed my home workgroup back away from that of my work Domain Name, made sure that my batch file syntax made absolutely pedantic references to where the user authority lay, and I think it all worked.

About the only thing that needs tidying up is the proliferation of directories on other PCs that are the result of navigating to them through Network Places. These are not the result of mapping drives, nor do they have drive letters. I think I just visited them with re-connect at logon enabled. Is there any way I can clear this history and start-over?

Thanks again for help so far..

Mike C