3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not Responding (PP 2002 SP-2)

I'm trying to build a presentation that consists of Word documents containing collages of old photos. I got the file built and saved, but now it won't load. PP stops responding while trying to load it. The file is 101.5 MB and my system only has 64 kb RAM (yeah, I know it's a dinosaur's machine) at 300mhz. Am I trying to stuff 5 pounds in a 3 pound sack?

I used to make PP presentations on much smaller, slower machines before I retired. Can't quite understand what's going on here.

All help greatly appreciated and gratefully received.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Not Responding (PP 2002 SP-2)

I assume you mean 64 MB of RAM, not 64 kB (I don't think any Windows version will work with 64 kB). Have you tried increasing the size of the swap file (System control panel)?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the response.

Yes , I meant MB, not kB. Can't keep from fat-fingering I guess. Looked at the System Control Panel settings and couldn't find where to set the swap file size. I'm running on ME (yes, a REAL dinosaur). I found the read-ahead control bar and the system restore bar under advanced settings for hard drive performance but didn't find a swap file setting anywhere.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It should be under Virtual Memory in the Performance tab of the System control panel (Virtual Memory is the official name for the swap file.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again, Hans!

I found the swap file options and found that the Let Windows Decide option was checked. When I checked the box to let me decide, it would not let me increase it. The logical drive that my files are on is down to 1.8 GB (if I got it right 1.8 GB or 1,800+ MB) of free space. That is the maximum that displays when I change the check box to decide for myself.

How large can or should the swap file size be?

Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In fact, the setting to let Windows decide the size of the swap file should be fine in most circumstances. Does Windows reside on the same drive as your PowerPoint file? If so, 1.8 GB free space is rather limited - many applications create temporary files when they're active, so there might not be much left for the swap file. Can you free up some disk space by archiving or zipping files, and see if that helps?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, Hans, my Windows is installed on a drive that has 27GB (yeah GB) free. The only thing on this drive is Windows and its ancillary files and folders. All of my software is installed on a different physical drive that is divided into several multi-GB logical drives. My data files, including both the presentation (.ppt) and picture (.jpg) files are on the same physical drive but not the one Windows is installed on. The source jpg's are are on a different logical drive (partition) from the ppt's.

Can you tell me if it would be possible to remove and reintall PowerPoint? Every time I load this program, other windows with various different applications running in them, stop responding. Either PP is sucking all the resources out of my system or it has somehow become corrupted. Do you think that an uninstall and reinstall would help?

Thank you, very much, for the help. You moderators do a superb job. WIsh I knew enough about this software to contribute instead of just asking for assistance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

So it seems to be a problem with PowerPoint in general, not just the one presentation.

Can you start PowerPoint at all? If so, try Help | Detect and Repair... (have your Office CD at hand.)
    If that doesn't help, you can try uninstalling and then reinstalling PowerPoint through the Add/Remove Programs control panel (again, have the CD ready)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I assume that PPT won't open to a new, blank presentation, is that correct? If so, you can run a detect and repair from the Add/Remove Programs option in Windows Control Panel if you're not able to open PPT to run it from there.

Try that first. If it doesn't work, then try deleting your *.PCB file. This is the PPT toolbar, and sometimes deleting it will help. PPT rebuilds it when it opens, although you'll lose any customizations.

As for the actual file size of the presentation, there are a number of ways to get the size down. First let's get PPT open and running, then we can worry about that actual presentation.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PPT opens to a blank presentation with NO problems. It is when I try to File/Open a previously created and saved file that PPT stops responding or causes an application running in another window to stop responding. Windows explorer, control panel and others have been open and stopped after starting PPT. It's not as if I'm running a dozen apps simultaneously on a 64MB machine; only PPT causes hangs; other combos of apps run simultaneously without problems.

On your advice I ran the repair in Help and still got the problem after completing repair, shutting down PPT. reloading PPT and trying to open the file. I even created a new, smaller file just in case the one I was working with was corrupted somehow. Same result.

This has almost GOT to be a PPT problem. What's the next step?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, let me see if I understand.
    You can open PPT to a new blank presentation just fine.

If you go to File/Open and attempt to open an existing presentation, PPT hangs, whether you try to open the large file you're working on, or a smaller existing file.

I'm just trying to make sure I'm troubleshooting the right problem here. Basically, PPT will not open any existing files, right?

What happens if you double-click an existing presentation from a Windows Explorer window? Will PPT open then? Please try this with a small existing file, not the 100MB one! <g>

Especially if the double-click in a Windows window works, I'd clear the MRU next. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...589&Product=ppt (method 2, removing the list from the registry)

If that doesn't work, see what happens if you start PPT in Safe Mode. http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00452.htm has instructions for how to do this. Hopefully you'll be able to open some of your files, and we'll have a hint as to what's going on.

Oh, and do you have an antivirus program running? I know that Norton AntiVirus's Office plug-in causes some opening issues. I'd suggest disabling that as per the instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=329820

Also, and I know this will sound odd, but do you have a printer driver installed locally? That is, sometimes PPT balks if it can't find a printer driver available (say if it's on a network, but you're on a laptop not currently hooked to the network).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Echo and Hans, thanks a million!

Just to close the loop in case it helps someone else searching here:

Don't know which step actually fixed the problem but I suspect it was the tip about NAV although it was already set to ignore .ppt files from when I got started. I moved the large ppt file off the logical drive that was within 2 gb of full and deleted and redid the NAV permissions. After that, it quit hanging but load times were extremely long. Is that just a trait of PPT? Don't recall that from work before I retired and I worked on smaller slower machines then. Maybe PPT was less robust in those days, huh?

Thanks again.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Glad to hear you got your files at least opening, Bob!

The hang time is probably due to the NAV Office Plug-in. Even though you redid the permissions for NAV, I'd suggest disabling that plug-in. My understanding is that you're still protected by NAV even when you do this -- so to be honest, I have never really understood why NAV has that plug-in at all (especially since it seems to cause people so many problems).

So anyway, generally speaking, the only PPT files that should take a long while to load are those very large ones. Small files should load pretty quickly, but if your file has a lot of OLE links, that can also cause longer load times.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Echo:

Thanks for the link - solved a problem I've had since installing NIS.

Tony.
    Regards,

Tony
    [s] [/s]
    www.SylviArtist.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, glad to hear that. Thanks for letting us know!