Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Detect & Repair (2000)

I had to use Detect & Repair from Word to reinstate the Word file association details in Windows Explorer, after they had been hijacked. This worked, but there was an installation error message. I'm wondering if the cause of this might be the fact that I've installed the updates and service packs, and that these are not present on my original install CD. So the question is:

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Detect & Repair (2000)

Hi Alan,

Detect & Repair 'should' recognise the fact of updates and call for the update CD or whatever to be inserted only if needed. Of course, if they were installed from a folder on another drive, Detect & Repair should find them and use them without any user intervention.

Do you remember what the error message was?

I'll leave it to soemeon else to answer your question about exporting file association keys from the registry though - I suspect there'd be zillions of them.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Macropod.
    This brings up some potential problems (for me). I have applied updates for both Office and Windows for many and varied locations - homeburnt CDs, miscellaneous HD locations, direct from the web... I'm wondering how the update sites determine what's needed and what's already in place. There's really no way it could determine what I'd done, other than by doing its own checks for various items on my system. This, of course, is no guarantee that things are really working as they should be. I just checked the Office Update website (and the Windows Update) and find both are up-to-date.

As to the error message, I'm afraid I was "on a mission" and didn't note the details - only that it was an "Installation error" with a number attached. Maybe I can try to repeat the exercise? Maybe I should also burn a CD containing all of the installable updates together with the original installation files? Any thoughts for better organisation of this?

Alan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It's always better to download updates and keep them on removable media (CDs, for example). But you will need them if you perform full reinstall (with disk reformatting and installing everything from scratches) or if the update process went wrong the first time.

Otherwise, Windows keeps all installed updates on the hard drive, usually in WINDOWSInstaller folder (this folder is hidden). You can see all installed updates as MSP files, and to determine which is which you must check properties of each file.
    For example, on my computer is 46ff1b2.msp file (on your computer file name can be differ), and properties of this file are: " Title: Office 2003 Patch;outlfltr;1413;Optimized;GLB, Subject: KB831208 " etc. That means, it is KB831208 Patch for Office 2003.

The error message you got means probably that Office Installation file (msi) in Installer folder is damaged or Windows Installer cannot open it. Try to run Office Installation from your Installation CD and choose Repair (Reinstall) option. After reinstallation Windows Installer will apply all already installed patches automatically if corresponding MSP files are not damaged. Visit Office Update webpage and check for updates you need to install.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks for this info Kaplin. I had no idea of how Windows did its record keeping. This is valuable to know for any future required maintenance.

I located quite a bunch of .msi files but can't find one specific to the Office installation. I notice though, that they have a "Repair" right-click option. I'm guessing this means "repair the current installation". Would this be correct?

Alan