3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge Selecting Recipients (XP and before)

I procrastinated. I need to teach my mail merge workshop again, and I remember having problems with a part of the exercise, but I don't remember the details.

After experimenting with filters and limiting the recipient list, sometimes people could remove the filters to get the entire recipient list back and sometimes they could not. I never solved the problem. Is this enough of a description that someone recognizes the problem? It was not version specific!

Thanks for your help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge Selecting Recipients (XP and before)

Hi Ena:
    What exactly did they do to remove the filters? The only problem that I recall offhand was that deleting the first query option might delete the following one. See MSKB Q212076

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It may have been simpler than that, something I simply overlooked. The exercise was to merge to the women on the list, requiring a filter of Title="Mrs." or Title="Ms" or Title = "Miss." When ready to remove the limitations, the ALL option is ghosted (unavailable) from the filter list. However, it's easy to go into the Advanced filter screen and remove all settings there. I wonder if that wasn't the problem. In the calm of my office, it is obvious!

Thanks for your help!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, I found the problem in class today but I cannot duplicate what I saw in class today.

In the steps 3 or 5 of the MailMerge Wizard, you can edit the recipients list. Numerous students clicked drop-down controls next to field titles and made selections. However, the filter did not take effect. In other words, clicking the State Control and selecting TX from the list of states did not limit the list to Texas records. In fact there was no reaction to doing this at all. All records remained visible. And once a student began having problems, no filter change produced a result, not even the advanced filters.

Are we ALL doing something wrong or is there a bug in XP? I think all these systems are probably early copies. I hope you have some insights.

Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Sanora:
    I found a similar problem discussed here by Beth Melton, MVP.

She said, "It could be that you have the operator wrong. For example if you are the Advanced Filter and are using "Not Equal to" then you need to use the "And" operator instead of "Or". Otherwise you will return all of the records.

Also, do any of the field names have spaces (e.g. State Control rather than StateControl)? One of the newsgroups suggests that this causes problems with filters in Word 2002. (I don't have access to Word 2002 to check)

A number of people report problems of this type on the Microsoft newsgroup & I think it may have to do with the method that Word 2002 uses to connect to the data source. You can try to use DDE or ODBC to connect to the data source. Make sure that Tools/Options/General/confirm conversions at open is checked. Then use the select method & you will have a choice. In Word 2000, the select method was a checkbox in the mail merge helper.

Incidentally, you can bring back the old Mail Merge Helper dialog box. Go to Tools/Customize... click All Commands & scroll for Mail Merge Helper. Just saw that this was covered in <post#=156305>post 156305</post#>
    Hope this helps,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think you suggested the solution. To the suggested field titles, my exercise adds Birthday Month. In older Word versions, no spaces were allowed. Word 2002 allows the space, but filtering on a field with a space in the field name seems to be problematic!

Thank you very much.