Lounger
    Thanks

close all reports ? (Access 2000)

Is there any function to close all reports when closing a report?
    In the OnClose event of one of my open repots i have put the
    following code:
    Public Function CloseAllReports()
    Dim i As Integer
    For i = Reports.Count - 1 To 0 Step -1
    DoCmd.Close acReport, Reports(i).Name
    Next i
    Beep
    End Function
    I do receive however the following mesage:

The action cant be carried out while a form or report is being opened.
    I suppose my code is not the right one.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: close all reports ? (Access 2000)

I think your problem might be that Access doesn't like you trying again to close the current report when it's already proccessing the OnClose event for it.

You could try something like If Reports(i).Name <> Me.Name Then DoCmd.Close acReport, Reports(i).Name

On a similar basis, you might want to watch out for problems if you include the code in each report's OnClose event. When you close report A and it tries to close report B, report B's OnClose event will fire and that will start trying to work its way through the open reports too.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If this code is in the report being closed, you can get around the problem by modifying your code as follows;

Public Function CloseAllReports()
    Dim i As Integer
    If Reports(i).Name <> Me.Name Then
    End If
    Next i
    Beep
    End Function

If this is a function being called in a standard module, pass it the current report object (the one being closed) as an argument like this:

Public Function CloseAllReports(rpt As Report)
    Dim i As Integer
    If Reports(i).Name <> rpt.Name Then
    End If
    Next i
    Beep
    End Function

And call it in the close event of the report like this:

CloseAllReports Me
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is indeed a further problem, though, if you're intending to include this code (or the call to this code) in every report. If this is being used only in a "master" report then Charlotte's code does the business.

As I suggested yesterday (but at that point hadn't tried it), report A errors trying to close report A, so the added "If" statement will avoid that eventuality. But when report A closes report B, report B's own OnClose event will kick in and the code that calls will hit the error condition not only when it tries to close itself, but also when it tries to close report A. If this error isn't fatal then when B closes C, C's OnClose event starts. Assuming there are no further reports, C will try to close A (fails), B (fails) and will skip trying to close itself. It then closes for real, and control returns to B's OnClose. This has finished its loop (C being the last report) so it too terminates and the report B closes. Report A has only just started its loop, so it will still try to close B and C, but this will fail with a different error as the only report open will be A - so by this time, Reports(i) is invalid for any value of i > 0.

The easiest solution might be to add error handling to CloseAllReports and in it, check first whether the error is either 2585 (This action can't be carried out while processing a form or report event.) or 2457 (The number you used to refer to the report is invalid). When it is, just resume processing, otherwise, report the error.