2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't insert comment into a header? (Word XP)

I was asked to review a document this morning, and wanted to put a comment into the header of the document. I couldn't find any way to do it--the menu choice greys out under the Insert menu and on the Reviewing toolbar.

I used Word 97 until a few months ago--I don't remember this being unavailable in that version. Is this another case of MS messing with what something that's not broken, meanwhile failing to fix the things that are?

Beej

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't insert comment into a header? (Word XP)

I can't put comments into the header or footer of documents either. Word 2002 SP2. I'm sure this used to work, but I don't have a system running an older version on which I can test.

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart:
    I read the original question too fast & overlooked the "header" part. It doesn't work in Word 2000 & I don't recall it ever working. I was thinking of unprotected sections in protected forms. I'll double check, but I think I have to edit my post. Thanks for catching this.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 23-Feb-04 12:24. to correct my error)</P>Hi Beej:
    I suppose there's more than one possibility, but one likely event is that the document is protected. Go to Tools/UnProtect Document... If it's password protected, then you can save it as .rtf & then unprotect it (then save it back as a .doc file).

Disregard the above statement. After Stuart posted, I realized I had overlooked the word "header" & was thinking of forms. Per this article, you cannot insert a comment in the header/footer area in Word 2002. This same is true for Word 2000. The comparable article for Word 97, however, does NOT say that you can't insert a comment into a header, but I don't have it to test.
    Sorry for the confusion,