Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel problem (Excel 2002)

You can set Column C, the accounts column, to use a Data Validation List. That way the customer can select the account from the drop down. See the attached simple example.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Walkenbach is one of the best, and the 97 book will still give you most of what you need. But you can update to the 02/XP version if you want.
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel problem (Excel 2002)

Hello everyone:

I have a client who requested for me to create a spreadsheet that would allow him to keep track of his Expense accounts, the columns range from A-I and the subheadings are as follows:

Date, Product/item , Accounts, ref number, Currency, Exchange, Actual Cost, Goods/Service ,Total Cost.

The client wants to keep a track of the Goods/services which is fine Actual cost*Goods/Services, then Actual Cost+Goods/Services which will give the Total Cost.

I have a problem with the accounts, an example is that the client has an expense account, within this account there a eight other accounts, eg, rent receipts, automobile, gas etc.

Can anyone offer a simple solution on how the client could utilize the accounts instead of just typing in different accounts everyday, would I have to create a list, or name box?

Thanks

dillon

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello JohnBF:

Thank you kindly for your help much appreciated, I have the Excel 97 Bible, by John Walkenbach, is there a better how to book that you could recommend for Excel 2002.

Again, thanks for your support

dillon65

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello JohnBF:

Please accept my appreciation for all your support, my expense report for my client looks brilliant, I even went a step further, and created a name list for currency as well. If you take a look at my first post, I have the date in the "A" Column. Is there anything I could do to make it easy for the client to ad the date?

Again, thank you so much for your support!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Ctrl+; (Control plus semicolon) will insert todays date into the active cell. Is that what you want?
    Legare Coleman

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to Legare's suggestion, you can format all the columns according to data type expected. You could do more complex stuff with more data validation, worksheet_change event date-stamping, etc., but I think it's better to keep things reasonably simple. The other thing that I would do is create a pivot table on a separate sheet that addresses all the data, so that your client can sort by date range, account type, etc.
    UTC -7ąDS