Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook (XP) (Office XP)

I have been having a maddening problem since upgrading to XP. Every once in a while Outlook locks up on a message with attachment. There is NO way to get around it, and no way to do anything but CTL+ALT+DEL and dump it. Then restart it and do a "check and repair" at which time it will work again for a while. Then Norton reports 28 registry errors, and as soon as I click to allow it to repair, Outlook goes down again shortly thereafter. Does ANYONE have an idea? ANY idea? This is driving me crazy for almost a year now, and has forced me into OE6 from time to time. (Not the worst thing in the world but I DO really prefer Outlook) Anyway, HELP please if you can.
    THanks,
    Joela

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook (XP) (Office XP)

You may be low on Temporary Internet File space, which in some builds of Outlook is where attachments are temporarily stored. Short term fixes is in IE clear out your Internet file cache or reduce number of days history, long term fix is follow unkamunka's advice from the MSKB's listed <!post=here,320747>here<!/post>.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip. However, I do have the history days set to 0, and temp internet files are on a separate disk, with gigabytes of space left. Also, I have the paging file on another parition, with plenty of room as well as 512 Mb, RAM. Any other ideas?
    Thanks again for the suggestion.
    joel

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, but this (these) articles only refer to Windows 98, NT and 2000. Nothing about XP Pro. Any other ideas?
    Thanks again,

Thanks

Some clarifying questions:

When exactly does it lock up? Sending the message, reading it, etc.??

Do you use Word as your mail editor? (This is flakier than using Outlook's internal editor.)

Any pattern to the type of attachment?

What is the connection with Norton and the registry "errors"? Can you get a list of them (rather than deleting them) in case Norton is removing something Outlook needs?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Those KB's refer to Outlook 2000 and 2002, the latter aka XP. The issue with TIF is how much is left of the maximum you specify in IE under (IE6) Tools | Internet Options | General | Temporary Internet Files | Settings | Amount of Disk Space to Use, not where it's located and how much disk space there is. Assuming you have plenty of open TIF, consider Jefferson's qustions and review <!post=this thread,344826>this thread<!/post> for ideas.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

There does not seem to be any pattern to this problem other than the "fix" suggested by Norton which reports 28 (sometimes 32) registry "errors" I do not use word as my e-mail editor that's just TOO Much kludge. No pattern to attachments, *.doc, *.jpg, *.xls, just about any type. And as to when it is always when trying to read a message with an attachment, not even neccessarily trying to open it. Just selecting the message does it. Oh, and I turned off the preview pane thinking that might help but it does not. Lastly I hadn't thought to run WinDoctor, I have been seeing the "one button check up" dialog which shows those 28 errors. I'll run the Win Doctor and see if it shows the same ones. Thanks, i"ll be back to you.