Star Lounger
    Thanks

Data on CD problem

I have a computer running Win XP Home at home. And machines running Win 2000 Pro and Win 98 at my office. I needed to take some large files from home to the office. I used Windows Explorer at home and copied the files to a CD-RW. No problem. When I get to the office and try to work with the files, they dont seem to be on the CD. What is on the CD is stuff that looks like install routines and help files for a program. I am very sure that I had the right CD. Have it back at home now and my files are exactly like I knew they were last night. But no sign of those other files I saw at work.

I suspect it has something to do with the file system on the CD. Here at home my hard drive has the NTFS file system. The CD has the FS_UDF system. Not sure what system the machines at the office are using. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Larry P
    NCPLS

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Data on CD problem

RW's can NOT be read by all CD drives. Some need to be finished or closed out to be used on other drive other than the burner.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you sure that you were looking at the correct CD Drive when you were at work. It sounds to me like the computer at work has more than one drive, and you were looking at a cd that was in another drive.

Alternatively, the head alignment on one of the drives might be off a little, and what you see at work is what used to be on the cd.
    Legare Coleman