2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Indent for Promote/Demote Funny Behavior (2000 sp3)

I've never seen this problem happen before, but I'm helping a client with a template, and perhaps there's something corrupt deep inside.

Normally, with styles set up with Outline Numbering and outline levels in Paragraph format, I can use the "Increase Indent" and "Decrease Indent" buttons as promote/demote: pressing "Increase Indent" will change "My Heading 1" to "My Heading 2" etc.

In this case, it appears to be working properly for all the custom heading styles... except "My Heading 1".

Has anyone seen this before?

Joel

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Indent for Promote/Demote Funny Behavior (2000 sp3)

Hi Joel:
    I haven't seen it, but I'm not sure whether the My Heading 1 won't promote or demote OR that My Heading 2 won't promte to My Heading 1. In either event, there are a couple things I would try:
    1. Put the cursor in the My Heading 1 style & choose Bullets & Numbering.../Outline Numbering. See what List Template is being used (i.e. which row & how many from the left). Then do the same with the other levels...they should all be using the same List Template. If not, post back your results.
    2. Place the cursor in the My Heading 1 paragraph & press Alt+Ctr+NumPadPlus. Then try to demote the level with the decrease indent button. The command should read Increase Indent.
    3. If there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the styles & numbering or the command, try the steps in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>.
    Hope this helps,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,
    Thanks for the tips, but no luck so far. I checked the style level numbers and the numbering list template (and I'm using a named list template -- learned that trick long ago).

The bizarre thing is that I can demote and promote the My Heading 2 just fine -- up to 1 and then back to 2, but when pressing the "Increase Indent" button for My Heading 1, the My Heading 1-3 styles indent instead of demoting just the My Heading 1 Style. Standard Heading1-9 work fine.

Even stranger, the Promote/Demote buttons don't work at all for these styles, but the Indent buttons do.

The client is adamant about using her own style names, instead of the built-in Heading 1-9.

Thanks, Joel

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joel:
    Wait a minute! I think I misunderstood you. If you're saying that the FIRST Heading 1 style doesn't demote when you press IncreaseIndent, that's the way it's supposed to work. Try it with the second level 1 heading style. Using IncreaseIndent & DecreaseIndent will demote & promote. It should work the same way with the built-in styles.

With respect to your "Promote & Demote" buttons, I don't know what that is. The Standard & Formatting toolbars do not have a Promote & Demote button (although IncreaseIndent & DecreaseIndent will do that on outline numbered paragraphs. I it possible that you have Indent & Unindent buttons that you've placed on a toolbar? Those will NOT demote & promote. That is the equivalent of pressing Ctrl+M & Ctrl+Shift+M.

If you want to post a document that contains these styles, we can take a look at it.
    Regards,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Aha! You're right. The first one can't be nudged to level 2, but all the rest ones can.

I'm not sure where that promote and demote button came from, I assumed it was standard, it may have been a client experiment.

Thanks.