Lounger
    Thanks

Negative $$$ data entry

I have a rather complex Invoice Form where there is a field for "Warranty Costs". This amount is deducted from the total repair costs. The current method of entry requires the (-) to be placed before the warranty charge amount (ex. -$414.54). Is there a method for setting the default entry to always be a (-) negative, without having to type the (-) before amount. We have had some data entry errors because the data entry user forgot the (-).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Negative $$$ data entry

if you place this in the lostfocus event for the text box:

If Not IsNull(Me![warrenty costs]) Then Me![warrenty costs] = -Abs(Me![warrenty costs])

it should always return a negative number

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My preference would be to place code in the OnExit event for the WarrantyCosts. The code could be set to check if the amount is less than $0. If >$0 then pop up a message box indicating the amount should be less than zero, please try again and set the focus back to the WarrantyCost box. If there is EVER a chance that a WarrantyCost could be an amount > $0 (stranger things have happened) you could use a Yes/No MsgBox asking them to confirm the amount should be >$0 and have an If/Then statement to handle their response.

Good luck.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Quick and easy method would be to set the Validation Rule Property for the field to <font color=red><=0</font color=red> and you could set the Validation Text property to something like <font color=red>Must Be a Negative Number</font color=red>

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Neat Option Brian

I keep forgetting about some of the easier property settings.