Star Lounger
    Thanks

DB linked tables through VPN (A2002)

I have a client running a db on a server (sbs2000). There is a remote office that needs to connect, as well. I have set up routers on both ends over a cable modem and VPN. I can move files and folders with no problem. I need to link tables from a local db on the remote machine to the main db on the server.

When trying to link (or open a db residing on the server) I am getting the following error...

"MSAccess cannot open this file. The file is located outside the intranet or on an untrusted site. MSAccess will not open due to potential security problems. To open, copy to your machine or an accessible network connection."

Have I missed a setting or something? I have all permissions set, and all sharing permissions must be OK since I can open and move files about. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thank you,
    Dave P.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: DB linked tables through VPN (A2002)

This sounds like you have installed at least SP2 and perhaps some additional security patches from Office XP update. In addition, attaching to tables in a remote database usually results in woeful performance. I would suggest you look at using Terminal Services instead - it will give you acceptable performance and handles security fairly nicely.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DB linked tables through VPN (A2002)

Wendell,
    Thanks for the reply, and I have a solution to this error ! I needed to add the IP address of the server router to the "Trusted Sites" list in Internet Explorer. I had toyed with this at about 3 am this morning, but I was using the server name, not the IP address. After adding to the trusted sites list, I am able to open dbases on the server (through windows explorer or from desktop shortcuts), as well as link local dbases to server tables.

I tested a local dbase with a link to a server table holding @ 7000 records. In the local I created the link, and a form with a combo box set to populate through a query sorting the names ascending. The combo opens in @ 3-5 seconds. I think this will be an acceptable amount of delay. I'll just keep the remote app scaled down from the server app, and put my best programming practices to work.

Thanks,
    Dave P.
    Hero of the Day [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]