3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Operation must use an updateable query? (2000)

I get an 'Operation must use an updateable query' when I try to run the following query:

UPDATE StockInquiry LEFT JOIN OnOrderTotal ON StockInquiry.article_id = OnOrderTotal.article_id SET StockInquiry.[Total On Order] = [OnOrderTotal]![Total On Order];

I've done lots like this in the past and they have all worked OK. I cannot see what I am doing this time that is different. I am baffled.

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Operation must use an updateable query? (2000)

Access 2000 and higher are more picky in this respect than Access 97. OnOrderTotal looks like a Totals query, this is probably the cause of the problem. Try setting the "Unique Records" property of the query to Yes. This corresponds to adding DISTINCTROW to the SQL statement for the query.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You have a couple of problems in this query. One is the lack of the DISTINCTROW keyword that Hans mentioned. The other is that you are using an outer join between the tables which could include null values if there is no matching record in OnOrderTotal. Is that really what you wanted to do?
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried both suggestions (DISTINCT ROW and join type) but still get the same 'Operation must use an updateable query' error.

the query now looks like this:

UPDATE DISTINCTROW StockInquiry INNER JOIN OnOrderTotal ON StockInquiry.article_id = OnOrderTotal.article_id SET StockInquiry.[Total On Order] = [OnOrderTotal]![Total On Order];

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is OnOrderTotal a table or a totals query? Totals queries are not updatable, and like union queries, they can make other queries in which they are joined not updatable.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi again,

I seem to have two threads running which have the same theme - the way that I have done things in the past is not right, even though up until now they have usually worked.

OnOrderTotal is indeed a totals query. Should I create a local table or maybe use an intermediate query?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, the query engine changed radically between 97 and 2000 and a bunch of things that used to work no longer do. An intermediate table is perhaps the simplest way to do this since you're trying to store summary information, an action which isn't usually done. Another method is to use code to open a recordset on the totals query and another on the main table and then update the main table recordset from the query recordset.
    Charlotte