Thread: Outlook (2003)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook (2003)

The company I work for has just migrated to Outlook 2003 (from GroupWise). Prior to working here I had been using Outlook (from versions 97 to 2000) and there was this neat little feature that allowed me to select one or more contacts from the Contacts folder and drag them to the Inbox and by doing so, a message window was created, with all the selected contacts in the To field. I have tried this in version 2003 but all it does is move those contacts to the Inbox. I wonder if anyone knows if this feature was removed or if some setting needs to be modified in order to it to work.

I realize that this is not an earth shattering problem but I think it's a bummer if it does not work anymore :-(

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook (2003)

Try opening up a Contacts folder, and the dragging and dropping your Contact onto the Mail horizontal stripe in the Navigation Pane on the left. This works for me.
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried this already and the same thing happens which is why I was wondering if there was a setting somewhere I could change. But if it works for you, this indicates to me that maybe my settings are probably different or that the installation was not done properly.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

AFAIK there is not a specific setting that controls this behaviour. I am not using Microsoft Exchange at present - which you may be - but that should npot affect the picture. HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

It works for me as well. If you figure out what is different with your settings could you please post back.

Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You may be suffering from a faulty install. Have you tried Help|Detect and Repair?
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

You are right about the Exchange server and the fact that I am suffering from a faulty install. I will post back if I ever figure out what the problem is.

Thanks for your help! It's nice to know that there is somewhere we can turn to when we encounter troublesome situations.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

By clicking on Detect and Repair on the Help Menu, you should be able to have the program installation checked for you. (This may, however, not be available to you due to a policy decision by the IT Admin staff.)

Something else that you could try is resetting your toolbar customisations - in case they have become corrupted. To do this, you need to close Outlook, find a file named outcmd.dat and delete it. (It will regenerate itself automatically the next time you open Outlook.) The file should be in something like Cocuments and Settings[username]Application DataMicrosoftOutlook. You will need to have both "Show hidden files and folders" checked and "Hide extensions for known file types" unchecked under Start|Settings|Control Panel|Folder Options|View in order to find the file.

HTH
    Gre