4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Graphic File Names (2000)

Is there a limit in the number of characters you can have with a file name for a picture. And can you have spaces in the name. Are there limitations in HTML that Front Page covers up?
    Thanks
    Deb

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Graphic File Names (2000)

Ultimately the limit is higher than you should ever encounter, but it mostly depends on the server. You can have spaces in the file name but they will be converted to % 20 when displayed in the address bar of the browser. (Please note that I added an intentional space between the % sign and 20 so the Lounge would not convert it to a space when I posted.) FrontPage does not display this in the file tree that it displays, nor will it display the proper path if you view the properties of the image. So, in that respect, you can consider it 'hiding.' FrontPage is using the Windows file system which allows spaces in file names. URLs do not and thus you end up with a strange looking path to the file.

For maximum compatibility, use all lowercase and avoid spaces in your filenames. If you ever move to a non-Microsoft environment you will be glad that you did this, as Unix systems treat Filename and filename as two distinct entities.

I have my own hierarchy for images, if this helps. For example, if I have an image that is 150x175, I name it filename_150x175.jpg. The underscore takes place of spaces and allows me to easily see what the image size is. My naming conventions are limited only by the way I organize things in my head.

Hopefully that is not confusing, but helpful. If not of course, let me know!
    -Mark