Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedded Fonts (97/2002/2002)

Do you have "Embed true type fonts" selected on Tools > Options > Save?
    If so then try clearing it.

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

Embedded Fonts (97/2002/2002)

Edited by StuartR to make link active, see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

I have gone through previous posts and found an issue that is similar to mine, <post#=259155>post 259155</post#>, which was posted in May of 03. Here is what is happening:
    We received an attachment that was in Word 2000 (but I think it was originally in Word 97). We then made changes to that attachment in Word 2002 and sent it back to them. They cannot open it. They are getting the message that it can only be opened as a Read Only file because of an embedded font - also tried to do a Save As - does not work.

The document is in Times New Roman - cannot find any other fonts in it. We will be sending documents back and forth on this case for a few weeks. Don't know how to solve this.

I saw in the other post about putting the SR-2 patch on - we already have it, but since they are in 2000, they cannot or can they?

Not sure what to do at this point.

Thanks for any help.

djbooks

Lounger
    Thanks

It was on when we opened their original file, and we did take it off on both documents, but will have to wait until tomorrow to hear from them to see if it worked. But that does bring up another question. I though that anything changed under ToolsOptions went with the PC, not the document. On our PCs, we do not have that option on.

Thanks again

djbooks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, the Options dialog is a muddle of application-level and document-level settings in most of the Office applications

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Some of the things under Tools > Options are document specific, look for example at the Security tab.

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,

That was the problem with that document. When we turned that off, she was able to open the document. Another question, though. Everyone is saying that they did not turn that option on. Can it be turned on automatically somehow? If so, how, so that we can watch for this in the future.

Thanks again

djbooks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have never heard of this option being turned on automatically. I have often come across users who changed something and then forgot or denied it.

StuartR