5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Creating a 'self-join' (2000)

I have a staff table and want a field to indicate their manager, who is someone else in the same table. The Lookup Wizard doesn't show me the staff table as an option. However, if I manually create the lookup details, building a Row Source, then this works. Why doesn't the Wizard give me this option? Is there something wrong with the way I am creating this? Should I, instead, build a query with the Staff table occurring twice in the table area? Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating a 'self-join' (2000)

The Wizard is not omnipotent; I guess this is a deliberate limitation. You don't really need the lookup in the table itself, you can create a combo box on a form to look up the manager.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wizard.. Omnipotent.. I like that.?! I realised that I could create a combo-box on a form, but books tend to create a self-join by creating a query and then adding a second copy of the original table and creating a join between them. I'm curious why they do this and whether there are any pitfalls in the way I am doing it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Putting another instance of a table in the query is the standard way to create a self join. In the query engine/Jet SQL, as it exists through version 2002, it's the only way to create a self-join in the grid, by using an alias of the table for the other side of the join.
    Charlotte