Thread: Need new Cd-Rom

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need new Cd-Rom

I need to install a new Cd-rom drive. Thought I would install a Sony Cd-RW drive this time.
    Question:I have an older e-machine 333cs.It's fine,beefed it up a bit but it still has a 250 MH Cyrix11 chip.I think it's been clocked up to 333mh by e-machine, but the CD-RW drive I want recommends a pentium11 400mh mimimum.
    Will the CD drive run well on my cyrix11 250mh chip speed?
    What would you do? tnx

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Need new Cd-Rom

The drive itself should work just fine. What you may encounter with a slower processor is a lot of failed burns, because the processor/disk subsystem just will not be able to keep up with the demand of CD writing.

If you keep all other applications closed when burning CDs, you should be well off. This includes disabling AV software since it scans every file that is read from the hard drive, and with a processor of this speed, you need every last drop of performance you can get.

HTH,
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Suppose I find a CD-RW that only requires 166mh PentiumII processor to run on my 250mh cyrix11chip.Probably would work better?
    Maybe I should forget about Burning with such a slow processor speed. Never have Burned a CD anyway.Just get a good CD Rom drive?Please give me your thoughts. Have seen a Samsung CD-RW that only requires 166mh Pentium 11.Might that be a better match? And another I saw was a combo CD-RW and DVD play only internal Combo drive that didn't require more than 166mh processor.Any advice again would be helpfull Mark.
    And what are the AV files you told me about to turn off if I went with the Sony 400mh model CD-RW.Tnx again,

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You should not concern yourself so much with the recommended requirements of the CD-RW drive itself as the speed of the system as a whole. Microsoft itself provides bare minimum recommendations for hardware requirements. The end result is that sure, the stuff will run, but will it be acceptable? CD writing is a processor intensive operation that benefits from faster CPU speeds. My sister once had nothing but problems on a Pentium 200 MHz processor, and the net result of her efforts to create CDs were "buffer underrun" errors - commonly referred to as coasters, since the CD is not re-usable and becomes worthless on a failed burn.

With enough RAM installed in the computer this is less of an issue. When I referred to "AV" I meant anitvirus software, which puts a dent in disk access times. Burning a CD requires a continuous stream of data flowing to the CD writer, and if this flow of data is interrupted for a small length of time you end up with the infamous buffer underrun. What that means in layman's terms is that the system could not queue enough data to supply the writer with information, and the burn process fails. Thus, eliminating anything that hits the hard disk - AV software high among these items - will help with the success rate.

In the end it comes down to how quickly your system can transfer data from the source (CD, hard drive etc) to the burner. Newer CD burners have a built-in cache to help avoid this problem. Look for a burner that has "buffer underrun protection" and you will be happier in the end. With a processor of the speed you noted, just be sure to shut down whatever you can first, as the system needs all the resources available to it in order to complete a successful operation.

HTH,
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Again Thanks for your great explanation of my situation. Very well expressed. I notice the sony I'm looking at has "buffer underrun Protection" so I may try it.As I previously mentioned I have found other CD-RW drives that only take a 166mh Pentium11 but I would rather have the sony.
    If you want to comment on this decision please feel free to do so, and thanks again Mark.HTH, Regards,

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Buffer underrun protection is a wonderful thing. If the burner has that feature, I would say "go for broke" and try it out. The buffer underrun piece goes quite a way toward preventing coaster creation.

I myself like Sony's products, very reasonably priced and very reliable. If you take the plunge I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with the drive.

All the best,
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark, I'll keep in touch.Maybe 10 days before you hear from me but I'll let you know how it works.If my 250mh chip is clocked up to 333mh,and the manufacturer is requesting 400 mh minimum, I'm hoping I'm close enough in speed to have it work O.K.
    I'll let you know and thanks,