Star Lounger
    Thanks

Index column spacing (Word 2000)

Hi all,

I've got a document in which I've created a load of index entries, and then stuck an index field at the end. The entries are kinda short, so I've set the section in which the index is located to have 3 columns rather than the default 2. The spacing I want between the columns is less than the default. I can set this manually, but whenever I update the index field, the column spacing jumps back to its default.

I'd have thought there'd be a switch to put in the field or something to tell it to leave the formatting of the index alone and only update the content thereof, but I can't see anything like that documented; am I missing something? Is there something obvious/easy that I am overlooking? Please help...

Thanks guys/gals

dtw

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Index column spacing (Word 2000)

I don't know of a way to prevent this behavior. You could create a macro (recording it is a good way to start) that updates the index, then restores the column spacing to your preferred setting. You could assign the macro to a custom toolbar button and/or keyboard shortcut.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know of any way to change the default spacing. However, there is a switch that will maintain 3 columns. Use e.g.
    c "3"
    This will work up to 4 columns, but uses default spacing. You can find almost all the switches for a given field by going to Insert/Field..., then selecting a field, pressing <Enter>, & then pressing the Options button (whenever it exists).
    Hope this helps,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys.
    The index keeps the NUMBER of columns OK - it's just the spacing between them that it keeps resetting.
    OK, so long as I know now that there ISN'T just a switch or a setting or something that will make it leave the space alone, I'm happy to go off and write a small macro to update the index and put the spacing right in one go. I just didn't want to do that if it was unnecessary.
    Much appreciated,
    dtw