New Lounger
    Thanks

Task Scheduler Won't Wake Computer (XP Pro)

I have set up a backup job and two batch file jobs to run during the night. I have tested the backup job to see if it will wake my computer when it is in hibernation. To test, I manually put the computer into hibernation, and the backup job woke the computer up. However, if I let the computer go into hibernation on its own through power management, the backup job doesn't run until I wake the computer in the morning.

Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Task Scheduler Won't Wake Computer (XP Pro)

Sorry to say, I don't use hibernation after having so much trouble with it in previous versions of the OS, so you'll have to wait to see if someone with technical knowledge of the inner workings can answer your question. But I am curious as to why you use hibernation in what your circumstances seem to be. Initially I thought, oh yeah, a laptop. But even if you have a laptop, you must have it running on AC power if you're leaving it on all night, right? I do overnight jobs too, like backup and so on, but I use Power Options only to turn off the monitor (not screensaver!) and I don't even power down the hard drives. My jobs run nicely in the background without even turning on the monitor, as far as I can tell.

Thanks

Are you scheduling a backup on its own, or scheduling a 'wake-up' followed by a backup? It may be that the system needs time to recover fully before instigating a backup and so scheduling the backup to start (say) 2 minutes after awakening may work.....

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just saving energy. Hibernation works much better in XP Pro, other than this Task Scheduler problem.

Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks

I first tried it with just the backup job as the wake-up. That didn't work. Last night I attempted to use a job that would display a text file three minutes ahead of the start of the backup job. But looking at that job again, which didn't run last night, that might have happened because the path was not enclosed with quotes. I will try that again tonight.

Still, I have tested using the backup job alone several times after manually putting my computer into hibernation, and it always ran just fine.

Bill